1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick linear momemtum problem.

1. Mar 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two astronauts, one of mass 62 kg and the other 85 kg, are initially at rest in outer space.
    They then push each other apart. How far apart are they when the lighter astronaut has moved 5.0 m?

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of momentum.
    Pi = Pf
    P1i + P2i = P1f + P2f

3. The attempt at a solution
    Pi = Pf
    P1i + P2i = P1f + P2f
    (62)(0) + (85)(0) = (62)Vf1 + (85)Vf2

How do I solve for 2 unknowns when you can't cancel the masses out because the masses are different?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When momentum is conserved, the center of mass does not accelerate, i.e. it keeps its initial velocity. In this case the velocity of the center of mass is initially zero, so it remains zero after the push. Can you use this information to your advantage?

4. Mar 19, 2010 #3

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

From conservation of momentum you are in this case able to express the speed (with sign) of one astronaut as a function of the speed of the other. Now you should be able to think about how these speeds relate to the distance each astronaut has moved and what that has got to do with the one distance you do know.

5. Mar 19, 2010 #4
    Because you started at rest, you know that the net velocity is going to be 0. Try plugging in a velocity for the lighter astronaut...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook