How many apples are left for the knights to share?

• Thread starter minger
  • Start date
In summary, 15 knights rode their horses to an apple tree with 15 ripe apples. After each knight took and ate an apple, the question is asked: How many apples are left? Some suggest there may be more than 15 apples if there are non-ripe ones, but others argue that there are exactly 15 apples left. Additionally, the answer would be the same even if no one took an apple.
minger
Science Advisor
You've probably heard this one before. If you have, then oh well. Anyways, here goes.

15 knights are riding 15 horses on a warm summer day. They approach an apple tree where coincedentally, there are 15 ripe apples. Each took an apple and ate it. How many apples are left?

Hint: If the answer is 0, then it wouldn't be a very good brain teaser now would it?

Physics news on Phys.org
From http://www.lakemetroparks.com/PDFs/AppleCurriculum.pdf it states that most apples are not ripe until fall, so if 15 are ripe, then there are more that are not ripe. And since this seems like a tree just off the side of the road, then there probably wouldn't be anyone taking care of the tree, so it's probably not much more than 15. Now, since it's a place where knights are, it's in europe, and there are a few birds that eat apples, and they would most likely eat the ripe ones... so then that ups the nubmer just a bit. I say there are 20 left.

14? Each being a persons name.

I tend to side with Rahmuss, but if you count apple cores as apples and you assume there are no non-ripe apples, then there are 15 apples left

nnnnnnnnnn is correct!

Paradoxically, the answer should be same even if none took an apple :rofl:

minger said:
nnnnnnnnnn is correct!
I'm afraid I don't get it... each apple is a person's name? :confused:

'Each' is the name of one of the knights. Quark points out that the puzzle works as well (the puzzle fails to work at all in my opinion) if 'None' took an apple and ate it.

1. What is "Quick Little Word Teaser"?

"Quick Little Word Teaser" is a word game that challenges players to rearrange a set of given letters to form as many words as possible within a time limit.

2. How do you play "Quick Little Word Teaser"?

To play "Quick Little Word Teaser", you will be given a set of letters and a time limit. Your goal is to rearrange the letters to form as many words as possible within the time limit. You can use each letter only once per word, and the words must be at least 3 letters long.

3. Is "Quick Little Word Teaser" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Quick Little Word Teaser" is suitable for all ages as it promotes vocabulary development and critical thinking skills. However, younger children may require assistance with spelling and time management.

4. Can I play "Quick Little Word Teaser" with friends?

Yes, "Quick Little Word Teaser" can be played with friends by taking turns to see who can form the most words within the given time limit. You can also challenge each other to see who can come up with the most creative words.

5. Are there any benefits to playing "Quick Little Word Teaser"?

Yes, playing "Quick Little Word Teaser" can improve vocabulary, critical thinking, and time management skills. It can also be a fun way to pass the time and can be a useful tool for learning new words.