Permanent Magnet vs Electromagnet Attraction

• Thread starter Kirua
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, the question is whether a permanent magnet will attract to the soft-iron core of an electromagnet with both poles facing each other. The electric current in the electromagnet may temporarily eliminate its attraction force. It is possible to discover the answer through experimentation. The iron core will be affected by the total magnetic field it is subject to, regardless of its purpose. When placed between two magnets with equal pulling energy, the iron strip will exert a force on the magnets, but the total force of attraction may not necessarily be doubled.
Kirua
If I have a cylindrical permanent magnet and an electromagnet with both poles facing each other, would the permanent magnet attract to the soft-iron core of the electromagnet? Assuming both magnets are restricted on an axis and have +/- equal strength (~375lb pull force, 2" cross sectional diameter).

I would assume the electric current would temporary magnetize the soft-iron core, thus temporary eliminating its attraction force. But I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to discover the answer by experiment :)

The iron core will, of course, be affected by the total magnetic field it is subject to wouldn't it?

The iron core will, of course, be affected by the total magnetic field it is subject to wouldn't it?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Also, I am short of equipment to perform an experiment. :(

You just said you had an electromagnet and a permanent magnet - after that you just need a spring and a ruler.

I said "If" I have a electromagnet and a permanent magnet...

My mistake. Well, if they are not easy to get then you have bigger problems to take care of first :)

Think of the core of the electromagnet as just a lump of iron ... don't let it's purpose distract you, that a human assignment not a physical one. The coil is an electromagnet whether it has a core or not.

No matter where that lump of iron is, it will be affected by the total magnetic field there. Make sense?

If the iron is inside the coil, then it is most affected by the coil's field ... this is not to say that it is not affected by the magnet's field. The effect may be so small wrt the coil that it can be neglected in the math though.

The core question is wether a magnet interacts with a magnetic field only through it's own magnetism or if it also reacts as a lump of non-magnetic metal in addition. For instance, if you move a magnet towards a metal magnet, is there a current induced in the magnet(s) to oppose the motion?

Force exerted on iron beetwen repelling magnet

Force to an iron between 2 magnets
Two magnets (A and B)has the same pulling energy @ 50 lbs. Put face by face on the same north poles (in repelling mode) within 10 mm distance. If a 3 mm bar iron strip/steel trip put in the middle of these 2 magnets, What will the forcstrip irone exerted on the strip iron/steel ? Howdo you calculate ?

Best regards

Windu Hernowo
++++++++++++++++

hernowo said:
Force to an iron between 2 magnets
Two magnets (A and B)has the same pulling energy @ 50 lbs. Put face by face on the same north poles (in repelling mode) within 10 mm distance. If a 3 mm bar iron strip/steel trip put in the middle of these 2 magnets, What will the forcstrip irone exerted on the strip iron/steel ? Howdo you calculate ?

I found a data Sheet for a 47.75lb magnet:
h-ttp://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DEX2
(p.s. is there an equation are to how they got those numbers?)

I have a question, if the iron strip is placed in the middle of the 2 magnets, would the total force of attraction be doubled that of the iron strip-magnet attraction force?

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces a magnetic field without the need for an external current. It is made of ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is a coil of wire with an electric current running through it, which produces a magnetic field. It can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current.

Which one is stronger, a permanent magnet or an electromagnet?

The strength of a magnet is measured by its magnetic field, which is determined by the material and the current flowing through it. In general, an electromagnet can produce a stronger magnetic field than a permanent magnet because the current can be increased or decreased as needed.

Can a permanent magnet attract an electromagnet?

Yes, a permanent magnet can attract an electromagnet. The magnetic field produced by the permanent magnet can influence the magnetic field of the electromagnet, causing it to move or be pulled towards the permanent magnet.

Can an electromagnet attract a permanent magnet?

Yes, an electromagnet can attract a permanent magnet. When an electric current is flowing through the coil of the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that can interact with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing them to attract each other.

Which type of magnet is more commonly used in everyday devices?

In everyday devices, permanent magnets are more commonly used. This is because they do not require a constant flow of electricity to maintain their magnetic field, making them more convenient and cost-effective for use in small devices such as speakers, motors, and refrigerator magnets.