1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Magnetic Field Question

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One wire, lying on the x-axis, carries a current of 8.0 A in the positive x-direction. Another wire, lying on the y-axis, carries a current of 12 A in the positive y-direction. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at (x, y) = (8.0 cm, 12.0 cm)?

2. Relevant equations

B = (uI) / (2*PI*r)

u = 4*PI*10^-7

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found each magnetic field seperately.

B1 = ((4*PI*10^-7)(12)) / (2*PI*(8/100)) = 3*10^-5 T
    B2 = ((4*PI*10^-7)(8)) / (2*PI*(12/100)) = 1.3*10^-5 T

This is the point I am stuck. The answer key says the answer is 1.7*10^-5 T. I see that you can get that answer by:

3*10^-5 T - 1.3*10^-5 T = 1.7*10^-5 T

However, I do not understand the reasoning behind this. Could somebody explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

Travis Walters
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

For the Ix, the field at the given pt is toward +ve z, and for Iy, the field is toward -ve z.

Think about how the magnetic field lines are circular about the wire. Here, at the given point, they are in opp directions.
  4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    Hey there,

I see what you mean about them being in opposite directions.

However, since B1 is in the negative Z direction, would that answer be -3*10^-5 T instead of 3*10^-5 T? Likewise, since B2 is in the positive Z direction, would that answer be 1.3*10^-5 T instead of -1.3*10^-5 T?

If that is the case adding these two quantities togather would yield -1.7*10^-5 T and not 1.7*10^-5 T correct? Is the magnitude the absolute value or should it be negative?

Thanks once again for any clarification.

Travis Walters
  5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The magnitude is simply the absolute value without regard to the sign and so is always +ve.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?