Question: Calculating Areas and Lengths of Circles with Different Radii

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, two circles have a radius of 4 and 16 cm. The area of the circle with radius 4 is 16∏r^2 - ∏r^2 = (15∏r^2) and the area of the shaded ring is 16∏r^2 - ∏r^2 = (15∏r^2) + 2∏r. The total circumference is 10∏r.
Taylor_1989
I would just like to someone to have a quick look at my maths for this question. I do not feel 100% that I am doing it right.

Question: Two circles have a radii r cm and 4r cm.

Find in terms of ∏ and r
a) the area of the circle with radius 4r. Here are my working; by the way still can't get latex to work, I have tried to everything, could someone point me to a latex post to see where I am going wrong.

area = ∏*r^2 ====> ∏*(4r)^2 =====> (16∏r^2)

b) The area of the shaded ring:

area = 16∏r^2 - ∏r^2 = (15∏r^2)

c) The total length of the inner and outer edges of the shaded ring.

Circumference = 2∏r =====> 2∏4r ======> 8∏r =====> 8∏r + 2∏r = (10∏r)

The answers and the ones with brackets. I have attched a drawing of the image that goes with the question. Not sure if really needed.

Attachments

• physicsforums.jpg
    physicsforums.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
I would just like to someone to have a quick look at my maths for this question. I do not feel 100% that I am doing it right.

Question: Two circles have a radii r cm and 4r cm.

Find in terms of ∏ and r
a) the area of the circle with radius 4r. Here are my working; by the way still can't get latex to work, I have tried to everything, could someone point me to a latex post to see where I am going wrong.

area = ∏*r^2 ====> ∏*(4r)^2 =====> (16∏r^2)
Your use of ====> and =====> above is pretty much meaningless. Your work would be improved if you described better what you are doing and used = to connect expressions with the same value.

For example,
Area of inner circle = ## \pi r^2##
Area of outer circle = ## \pi (4r)^2 = 16\pi r^2##

The right sides of the equations above are written using LaTeX. Right-click on either of them to see what I wrote.
Taylor_1989 said:
b) The area of the shaded ring:

area = 16∏r^2 - ∏r^2 = (15∏r^2)

c) The total length of the inner and outer edges of the shaded ring.

Circumference = 2∏r =====> 2∏4r ======> 8∏r =====> 8∏r + 2∏r = (10∏r)
This would be better, IMO, as it gives the reader a better idea of what you are doing.
Total circumference = Circumference of outer circle + Circumference of inner circle
= ##2\pi (4r) + 2\pi r = 8\pi r + 2\pi r = 10\pi r##
Taylor_1989 said:
The answers and the ones with brackets. I have attched a drawing of the image that goes with the question. Not sure if really needed.

I have tried to put latex in, but have problems even when I write it in latex. I write the code, but it never changes to latex form. Do you have any suggestions why I have this problem?

You have to put it inside a pair of [noparse][tex] and [/tex][/noparse] tags or a pair of [noparse][itex] and [/itex][/noparse]. Alternatively you can use a pair of $$ tags (at start and end) or a pair of ## tags (at start and end).

Edit: It appears that [ noparse ] has stopped working. The first sentence above says

You have to put it inside a pair of [ tex] and [ /tex] tags or a pair of [ itex] and [ /itex]. (Omit the leading spaces.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I was using [itex] as a tag to star and finish; maybe way it was not working.

1. What is a quick maths check for algebra?

A quick maths check for algebra is a method used to verify whether a given algebraic equation or expression is correct. It involves substituting values for the variables and simplifying the equation to see if the two sides are equal.

2. Why is it important to do a quick maths check for algebra?

Doing a quick maths check for algebra is important because it helps catch any errors or mistakes in the equation before moving on to more complex problems. It also helps to build a deeper understanding of algebraic concepts and strengthens problem-solving skills.

3. How do you do a quick maths check for algebra?

To do a quick maths check for algebra, you can follow these steps:

1. Substitute values for the variables in the equation.
  2. Simplify each side of the equation using order of operations.
  3. If both sides are equal, the equation is correct. If not, there is an error that needs to be fixed.

4. Can a quick maths check for algebra be done mentally?

Yes, a quick maths check for algebra can be done mentally as long as the equation is not too complex. It is a useful skill to have as it allows for a faster and more efficient way of solving problems.

5. When should a quick maths check for algebra be done?

A quick maths check for algebra should be done after solving a problem or before moving on to the next step in a solution. It is also helpful to do a quick check at the end of a longer problem to ensure that all steps were completed accurately.