Solving 3^x = 9^y-1: Easy Math Question Explained by Roger

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a solution to the equation 3^x = 9^y-1 and showing that x=2y-2. The conversation includes suggestions to use logarithms to reduce exponents and finding a common base to solve the equation in one line. The final solution is x=2y-2.
roger
hi guys,

the question says : if 3^x = 9^y-1 show that x=2y-2

I'm not sure how to do this

please can you help me ?

thanx

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a trick that reduces exponents to products ?

do i use log ?

im not too sure

Logarithms are an excellent way to reduce questions about variable powers to more familiar algebra. :)

Can someone explain further please ?

ln(3^x)=ln(9^y-1) using the properties of logarithms we get:
xln(3) = (y-1)ln(9)
solve for x in terms of y
x = (y-1)ln(9)/ln(3)
I'm sure you can do the rest...

You really do not need to use logs for this question at all. It can be solved in one line. Find the common base of the two bases and manipluate the powers accordingly.

uranium_235 said:
You really do not need to use logs for this question at all. It can be solved in one line. Find the common base of the two bases and manipluate the powers accordingly.

Yeah... You can see that

[tex] 3^2 = 9 [/tex]

so you don't need to use logs at all :)

Question:
[tex]3^x=9^y^-^1[/tex]
Show that [tex]x=2y-2[/tex]

Solution:
[tex]3^2=9[/tex]
[tex]3^x=(3^2)^y^-^1[/tex]
Whenever doing these type of problems,always try to get the same base.

You have to multiply 2 by y-1 so you get 2y-2
[tex]3^x=3^2^y^-^2[/tex]

Look at the exponents and you get:
[tex]x=2y-2[/tex]

I might be wrong

Raza, your working is correct but you're not meant to post full solutions to problems. It's ok to post hints and to correct their working though (after they've shown it of course).

I know I shouldn't do that but whenever I need help, I hope someone can finish the problem for me with some explaining along the way. It's not because I just want to copy it off but I don't get it until it's fully done.

1. How do you solve 3^x = 9^y-1?

To solve this equation, we can take the logarithm of both sides. We get x = (y-1)log3 - log9. From there, we can use the properties of logarithms to simplify and solve for x.

2. Can this equation be solved without using logarithms?

Yes, there are alternative methods to solve this equation without using logarithms. One method is to rewrite 9^y-1 as (3^2)^y-1 and then use the properties of exponents to simplify and solve for x.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of x and y in this equation?

Yes, since we cannot take the logarithm of a negative number, both x and y must be positive. Additionally, y cannot be equal to 0 since we cannot divide by 0.

4. Can this equation be solved for non-integer values of x and y?

Yes, this equation can be solved for non-integer values of x and y. However, the solutions may not be as straightforward and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be used in various scientific fields, such as biology and chemistry, to model exponential growth or decay. It can also be used in financial analysis to calculate compound interest. In general, any situation involving exponential functions can potentially be modeled using this equation.