How do I solve for r(theta) in central force motion with r''=(k^2)*r?

• Thread starter DarkEternal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a central force motion with vector form r''=(k^2)*r, where k^2>0. The speaker has solved for the vector r(t) but is having difficulty solving for r(theta). They have obtained a second order differential equation and are seeking tips for solving it. Another person in the conversation suggests a solution using the derivative of distance with respect to time. Eventually, the speaker believes they have solved the equation with the help of Gokul.
DarkEternal
I have a central force motion with vector form r''=(k^2)*r, where k^2>0. It's trivial to solve for the vector r(t), but I'm having a little trouble solving for r(theta). I get a second order differential equation of the form r''=A/r^3+Br. Any tips on solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]r'' = \frac {A}{r^3} + Br = - \frac {d}{dr}(\frac{A}{2r^2} - \frac{Br^2}{2})[/tex]

Multiply both sides with r' = dr/dt

[tex]LHS = r'r" = \frac{1}{2} \frac {d}{dt} r'^2 [/tex]
[tex]RHS = -\frac{dX}{dr}.\frac{dr}{dt} = -\frac{dX}{dt} [/tex]
This gives :
[tex]r'^2 = -2(X) + const. [/tex]

think i got it, thanks gokul

1. What is the definition of mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it.

2. What is a quick way to calculate mechanical work?

Mechanical work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.

3. How is the concept of energy related to mechanics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in mechanics as it is what allows objects to move and change their state of motion. The study of mechanics involves analyzing the various forms of energy such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy.

4. What are some examples of mechanical systems?

Examples of mechanical systems include a swinging pendulum, a car engine, a bicycle, and a pulley system.

5. How does Newton's laws of motion apply to mechanics?

Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles in mechanics that describe how objects move and interact with one another. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.