1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Method of Characteristis Question help please!

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    So I already did most of the problem, there is just one thing I am unsure of, the equation is:
    [tex] xyu_x+(2y^2-x^6)u_y=0 [/tex]
    I found the characteristics, they are
    [tex]\frac{y^2+x^6}{x^4}=A[/tex] for constant A...so A=y(1)^2+1. Now I am given an initial condition [tex]u(x,\alpha x^n)=x^2 [/tex] and am asked to find the explicit solution. I think I may just be very tired or something because this is usually easy, but I am having trouble. On my characteristic curve, I have that du/dx=0, so u is constant on the curve. I thought I would just find when the two curves are equal ie. [tex]\alpha x^n=\sqrt{Ax^4-x^6}[/tex]
    (on the right side I just solved my characteristic curve for y) but in any case, the problem is giving me trouble, and it's due in the morning. I know the general solution is
    [tex] u(x,y)=g(\frac{x^6+y^2}{x^4}) [/tex] Can someone help me please?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?