Hydrogen Atom Ground State Wavefunction Normalisation Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the normalization of a wavefunction for a hydrogen atom in the ground state. After some discussion and calculation, it is determined that the correct value for C is \sqrt{\frac{8\pi}{a_{0}}}. However, there is an additional factor of r^2 in the integrand that must be taken into account when using spherical coordinates.
White Ink

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom in the ground state can be described by the following wavefunction:

[tex]\Psi(r) = \frac{C}{\sqrt{4\pi}}e^{- \frac{r}{a_{0}}}[/tex]

Normalise this wavefunction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this and got:

[tex]C = \sqrt{\frac{8\pi}{a_{0}}}[/tex]

I have no way of checking this, so I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether I am right or wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite, I don't think. Can you show us how you got that?

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\left|\Psi(r)\right|^{2}dr = 1[/tex][tex]\frac{C^{2}}{4\pi}\int^{\infty}_{0}e^{\frac{-2r}{a_{0}}}dr = 1[/tex][tex] u = \frac{2r}{a_{0}}[/tex]

[tex] du = \frac{2}{a_{0}}dr[/tex]

[tex] dr = \frac{a_{0}}{2}du[/tex][tex]\frac{C^{2}}{4\pi}\frac{a_{0}}{2}\int^{\infty}_{0}e^{-u}du = 1[/tex]

Using:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{n}e^{-x}dx = n![/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}e^{-u}du = 0! = 1[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\frac{C^{2}}{4\pi}\frac{a_{0}}{2} = 1[/tex]

[tex]C^{2} = \frac{8\pi}{a_{0}}[/tex]

Think again about the first integral. Even if the wavefunction is only dependent on r, you are still integrating over three-dimensional space. Use the appropriate volume differential for this case (spherical coordinates).

You will notice the equation will reduce to an integral in just r, but it'll have a key difference with the one you're using right now.

Proggle said:
Think again about the first integral. Even if the wavefunction is only dependent on r, you are still integrating over three-dimensional space. Use the appropriate volume differential for this case (spherical coordinates).

You will notice the equation will reduce to an integral in just r, but it'll have a key difference with the one you're using right now.

I know exactly what you mean (integrating in the [tex]\theta[/tex] & [tex]\phi[/tex] directions becomes equivalent to multiplying to constant in front of the integration with respect to r by [tex]2\pi^{2}[/tex], since the wavefunction is independent of those two variables). I read over the question too quickly. Thank you for your help.

White Ink said:
I know exactly what you mean (integrating in the [tex]\theta[/tex] & [tex]\phi[/tex] directions becomes equivalent to multiplying to constant in front of the integration with respect to r by [tex]2\pi^{2}[/tex], since the wavefunction is independent of those two variables). I read over the question too quickly. Thank you for your help.

In addition there will be an extra factor of r^2 in the integrand, right?

Dick said:
In addition there will be an extra factor of r^2 in the integrand, right?

Now that one beats me. I can't see where an additional [tex]r^{2}[/tex] would come from.

dV in spherical coordinates is r^2*sin(theta)*dr*dtheta*dphi. Better look that up to make sure my use of angle names agrees with yours. And you won't get a pi^2 from the integration, do it carefully.

Ooops, I feel stupid now. I forgot about the metric coefficients and took my volume element to be [tex]dr[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex] . At least I won't be making that mistake again. Thanks.

What is quick normalisation?

Quick normalisation is a process used in data analysis to transform numerical data into a common scale, making it easier to compare and interpret.

Why is quick normalisation important?

Quick normalisation is important because it allows for fair and accurate comparisons between different data sets. It also helps to reduce the impact of outliers and variations in data units.

What are the different methods of quick normalisation?

The most commonly used methods of quick normalisation are min-max scaling, z-score standardisation, and decimal scaling. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of data.

Can quick normalisation be applied to all types of data?

Yes, quick normalisation can be applied to all types of data, including numerical, categorical, and binary data. However, the method of normalisation may vary depending on the type of data.

What are the potential drawbacks of quick normalisation?

Some potential drawbacks of quick normalisation include the loss of information, as the original data is transformed into a new scale, and the potential for data manipulation if the normalisation process is not carefully implemented.