Understanding Initial Velocity: v0 vs. vi in Motion Equations

• Thread starter r_swayze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
The only difference is that v0 is used when dealing with a specific object, while vi can be used when dealing with multiple objects. In summary, v0 and vi both represent initial velocity, but v0 is specific to one object while vi can be used for multiple objects.
r_swayze
Whats the difference between v0 and vi ?

I thought they both meant initial velocity but my teacher used them both in the formula sheet he gave us. Here's a example.

motion equations:

x = x0 +v0 t +1/2 at^2

delta x = vi t + 1/2 at^2

Physics news on Phys.org
The 0 and i are the indexes of the variables, they are merely there to make it easier to recognize variables if you have several of the same type (for example several velocities). Vo and Vi are both used for initial velocity, so both mean basically the same thing.

r_swayze said:
Whats the difference between v0 and vi ?

I thought they both meant initial velocity but my teacher used them both in the formula sheet he gave us. Here's a example.

motion equations:

x = x0 +v0 t +1/2 at^2

delta x = vi t + 1/2 at^2

Yes, v0 and vi both mean initial velocity in these equations.

1. What is "Quick notation question"?

"Quick notation question" is a term used in scientific research to refer to a specific type of question that involves finding a concise and efficient way to represent complex information or data.

2. Why is quick notation important in scientific research?

Quick notation plays a crucial role in scientific research as it helps scientists communicate complex ideas and data in a more efficient and understandable manner. It also allows for easier analysis and comparison of data.

3. What are some common examples of quick notation in science?

Some common examples of quick notation in science include mathematical equations, chemical formulas, and scientific symbols and abbreviations.

4. How can I improve my quick notation skills?

Improving quick notation skills takes practice and familiarity with the subject matter. It also involves being able to identify and use the most appropriate notation for a given situation. Reading and studying scientific literature can also help improve quick notation skills.

5. Are there any guidelines for creating effective quick notation?

Yes, there are some general guidelines for creating effective quick notation, such as using symbols and abbreviations that are widely recognized and avoiding ambiguity. It is also important to clearly define and explain any notation used in a scientific study or paper.