Solve 2nd Order ODE y'' + 9y' = cot(3t)

• Thread starter stanli121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, you are trying to solve for y(t) using an integrating factor, but it may not be possible because the equation is second order. You should look for other ways to solve the equation.
stanli121

Homework Statement

y'' + 9y' = cot(3t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a linear second order ODE where y(t) and that's what I'm solving for. Can this be solved via an integrating factor or does the cot(3t) part make that invalid? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve the complementary homogeneous equation and then the nonhomogeneous equation.

[itex]y''+9y'=0\Rightarrow m^2+9m=0\Rightarrow m(m+9)=0[/itex] [itex]m=0,-9[/itex]

[tex]y_c=C_1+C_2e^{-9t}[/tex]

Now to form the [itex]y_p[/itex] equation, you need to identify what annihilates cos(3t). Do you know what does?

Dustinsfl said:
You can solve the complementary homogeneous equation and then the nonhomogeneous equation.

[itex]y''+9y'=0\Rightarrow m^2+9m=0\Rightarrow m(m+9)=0[/itex] [itex]m=0,-9[/itex]

[tex]y_c=C_1+C_2e^{-9t}[/tex]

Now to form the [itex]y_p[/itex] equation, you need to identify what annihilates cos(3t). Do you know what does?

Good luck on that, that's a cotangent, not a cosine. I would suggest variation of parameters.

I don't really know how to solve this equation. My first (and only) attempt at the solution is an integrating factor and that doesn't work. I'm not well versed in differential equations because I haven't gotten there yet in the math sequence.

stanli121 said:
I don't really know how to solve this equation. My first (and only) attempt at the solution is an integrating factor and that doesn't work. I'm not well versed in differential equations because I haven't gotten there yet in the math sequence.

You are probably getting a bit ahead of yourself. Integrating factors are used in the first order equations. Your equation is second order and is solved by methods in the "Constant Coefficient" section of your text. There you will learn about solutions to the homogeneous equation and how to find particular solutions to the non-homogeneous equation.

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE, or second order ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical expression that relates a function to its first and second derivatives. It is commonly used to describe physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What does the "y''" represent in this equation?

The "y''" represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to the independent variable t. In other words, it represents the rate of change of the rate of change of the function.

3. How is the equation solved?

To solve this equation, one can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The exact method used will depend on the specific form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

4. What is the role of "cot(3t)" in this equation?

The cot(3t) term represents a trigonometric function and is a part of the general form of the equation. It is a common way to model oscillatory behavior in physical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of this type of equation?

Second order ODEs are used to model a wide variety of physical phenomena, including oscillations in mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and population dynamics. They are also commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems.