1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick one about notation.

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to indicate that a vector b is in the span of the columns of a matrix C?

2. Relevant equations
    I could type the definition of Span here, but Wikipedia has it too and it is not necessary or useful now.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \mathbf{b} \in \mathrm{Span}\{\mathbf{c}_1, \mathbf{c}_2, \ldots, \mathbf{c}_n\} [/tex]

I've never seen the [itex]\in[/itex] symbol in this context and wanted to be sure it is OK. As the concept of span seems to be defined formally in such a way that it ends up being a set, I think this operator is the right one.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The above represents a set of vectors, and ##\in## simply means that b belongs to that set.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    This is a yes, right? (slow guy)

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

Mark44

Yes.

BTW, the span of a set of vectors is a set, albeit an infinite set - the set of all linear combinations of the vectors listed in the set.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    What about [tex]\mathrm{Span}\{\varnothing\}[/tex]?

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6

Mark44

I've never seen this, but I would guess that it's the empty set.

8. Dec 8, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Mark44 should have said "the span of any non-empty set of vectors is infinite".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted