Quick Organic Chem: P & Q Structural Formulas + Q to R Conversion

In summary: On second thoughts (after half an hour!) scrub this bit. I just assumed it was 1-propanal and did not think about other possibilities. Looking at the reaction, may be other candidates are more likely.
new hand

Homework Statement

______________Stgae 1 [/B]
P:C3H6O ----->
_________________Br2 in organic solvent
Q:C3H6OBr2
Stage 2
-->R:C3H5Br3
1.What is the structural formula of P and Q respectively?
2.What is the reagents in the conversion of Q to R??
(1) Phosphorous tribromide liquid
(2) Bromine liquid
(3) Solid Potassium bromide and concentrated sulphuric acid
Which one can??

The Attempt at a Solution

Are there two possible structures for P. One is 1,2-dibromopropenol and
2,3-dibromopropenol. My answer is 1,2-dibromopropenol.However someone told me that 2,3-dibromopropenol is the answer as Bromine atoms cannot add to carbon atom with hydroxyl group, whywhywhywhy??

I totally have no idea for question 2... lol

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
new hand said:

Homework Statement

Stage 2
(2) Bromine liquid
Which one can??

2,3-dibromopropenol. My answer is 1,2-dibromopropenol.However someone told me that 2,3-dibromopropenol is the answer as Bromine atoms cannot add to carbon atom with hydroxyl group, whywhywhywhy??

Hi, first of all, what do you think P and Q are? And how did P become Q?

There are many ways for Q to become R, such as:
i) react P(s) + Br2 in situ
ii) NaBr (s) + h2so4 (conc), heat
iii) react with HBr (g), room temp. or HBr (aq) conc., heat

And about 1,2-dibromopropanol, are you regarding to Q I'm assuming you mean Q anyways. Well, it not only can be 1,2- , it can also be 1,1- , 2,2- . But think about 2,3- ...Isn't it the same with 1,2- ?? Since there are only 3 Carbons? Or do you mean why can't it be 1,2- bromopropan-1-ol instead of 1,2-bromopropan-3-ol?

May I know where did you get this question from? If can, can you show us a picture of the full question, it'll help a lot.

I'm only a non-chemist with a casual interest, but can I make one suggestion?

For part 2, what do you think the other product of the reaction is?
ie. Q + part of reagent -> R + what?
Does that give you a clue to what the reagent must be?[Can I also just wonder why people are talking about "enols" ? I had assumed at first that it was just a mis-spelling (or foreign spelling) for propane or propanol?]- edited below
On second thoughts (after half an hour!) scrub this bit. I just assumed it was 1-propanal and did not think about other possibilities. Looking at the reaction, may be other candidates are more likely.

Last edited:
new hand said:

Homework Statement

Stage 2
(2) Bromine liquid
Which one can??

new hand said:

Homework Statement

Stage 2
(2) Bromine liquid
Which one can??

Hi, do you understand my explanations? Please reply to us thanks.

Merlin3189 said:
I'm only a non-chemist with a casual interest, but can I make one suggestion?

For part 2, what do you think the other product of the reaction is?
ie. Q + part of reagent -> R + what?
Does that give you a clue to what the reagent must be?[Can I also just wonder why people are talking about "enols" ? I had assumed at first that it was just a mis-spelling (or foreign spelling) for propane or propanol?]- edited below
On second thoughts (after half an hour!) scrub this bit. I just assumed it was 1-propanal and did not think about other possibilities. Looking at the reaction, may be other candidates are more likely.
"enol" is a chemical term.

StoneBurner said:
"enol" is a chemical term.
Yes I did look it up (though I'm not sure I understood what I found!)
I was originally puzzled because it had sounded to me like an alcohol based on an alkene, whereas the original substance looked to me like an aldehyde of an alkane (propanaldehyde?).
I did go back and edit my post when I realized that there were more complex possibilities, including a C=C, but left my original comment in brackets so as not to confuse anyone who had read it in the meantime. Now, of course, I wish I'd not said it, as it is irrelevant to the OP question.

I'm sorry the thread has dried up, as I would have liked to know what the real answer is! I thought at first you could only solve it if you guessed the original compound correctly, but now I wonder if you have to work backwards from the Q and R ?
I am positioning the Cl 's on the basis that they are very electrophillic and will go where electrons are most available (a bit of naive physics!) This would not prevent them going on the C with the O, but since O is also electrophillic, that C would be short of electrons so they would be less likely to go there.

1. What is the difference between P and Q structural formulas?

The P structural formula is a simplified way of representing the structure of a molecule, where only the carbon atoms and their connections are shown. The Q structural formula is a more detailed representation, where all atoms and their connections are shown. The Q structural formula is also known as a molecular formula.

2. How do I convert a Q structural formula to an R structural formula?

The conversion from a Q structural formula to an R structural formula involves determining the functional groups present in the molecule and rearranging the atoms to show their position in the molecule. It may also involve adding or removing hydrogen atoms to satisfy the valence of each atom.

3. What is the purpose of using structural formulas in organic chemistry?

Structural formulas are used in organic chemistry to visually represent the structure of molecules, allowing chemists to understand how the atoms are connected and how the molecule may behave in different reactions. They also help in identifying and differentiating between different compounds.

4. Can I determine the properties of a molecule based on its structural formula?

While structural formulas provide valuable information about the structure of a molecule, they do not provide information about its properties. Other factors such as the type of bonds, functional groups, and molecular weight also play a role in determining a molecule's properties.

5. How can I draw a structural formula for a molecule with multiple functional groups?

To draw a structural formula for a molecule with multiple functional groups, start by identifying all the functional groups present. Then, determine the main chain of carbon atoms and draw each functional group attached to the main chain. Finally, add all remaining atoms and their connections to complete the structural formula.