1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick partition function question. (Stat. Mech.)

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    Physical interpretation of the partition function. Consider a single-particle quantum system whose states are labeled with an index i = 1, 2, 3, ... with corresponding energies E1, E2, E3, ... . Set the zero of energy at the ground state energy so that E1 = 0. Argue that, if the absolute temperature T is such that kT = En, where n is some integer, then n is the approximate value of the partition function (15.4). Therefore, the partition function is equal to the number of states which are likely to be occupied.

15.4 [tex]\sum[/tex] e^-Ej/kT

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried expanding terms and plugging in for kT=En yielding this but not sure where or if to proceed from here...its not correct right now...

e^-E1/En + e^-E2/En ... + e^-En/En

This gives me 1 for the first term which is a promising first step because if all the exponentials equal one I have the correct solution 1+1+1+...=n but I'm not sure if this is the case of much less how to prove this is the case.

Should this be posted in the mathematics section?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?