Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Path Integral Question

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    In path integrals, how does one deal with non-differentiable paths? Obviously non-differentiable paths are allowed, but with Feymann's formulation, one has to calculate the action for a path, and then sum over all possible paths. How is the action defined (if it is defined at all) for a non-differentiable path?

Also, is it possible to construct path integral vigorously by constructing a measure on the space of possible paths?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since you are integrating, differentiability of the path doesn't matter. You can compute the length of the perimeter of a square, although the path becomes nondifferentiable at the corners.

4. Oct 15, 2004 #3

Haelfix

Science Advisor

The nondifferentiabality of the paths is not so much a problem (in fact in general one expects that). However the measure is a problem in QFT. No one knows really what exactly *that* is, and is more or less poorly defined mathematically (but curiously, you *can* do a few things with it).

People seem to have more or less given up on that problem for the general case, as its exceedingly hard.

5. Oct 15, 2004 #4
    Thanks for your replies!

To selfAdjoint,
    Maybe you mistakably thought that I was talking about the ordinary path integral? Or did I miss something?

To Haelfix,
    Path integrals are new to me. May you explain why the non-differentiability of paths does not matter? I can imagine that there are many continuous yet everywhere non-differentiable paths (Brownian motion's deterministic counterparts?) that are allowed. I am not sure that they are of measure zero (if the measure is defined at all)?

6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    They dont have measure zero. Their contributions cancel out, because the lagrangian involves derivatives, and the action diverges. Its easiest to show that in the case of a Euclidean path integral, where the integrand is [itex]e^{-\infty}=0[/itex] for a non differentiable path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?