Understanding the Validity of PDE Solutions with Variable Substitution

• Thread starter bullet_ballet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, for any C¹ function f(x), the function u(x, t) = f(x - ct) is a solution of the partial differential equation u_t + c u_x = 0, where c is a constant and u_t and u_x are partial derivatives. This is because the variable x-ct represents a function that is moving along the x-axis with velocity c, and when substituted into the PDE, it satisfies the equation. However, the boundary conditions must also be considered to determine the specific function f that solves the PDE. Without boundary conditions, there are multiple solutions to the PDE.
bullet_ballet
"Verify that, for any C¹ function f(x), u(x, t) = f(x - ct) is a solution of the PDE u_t + c u_x = 0, where c is a constant and u_t and u_x are partial derivatives."

I managed to get the solution for this and a similar problem by showing that the new variable (x - ct in this case) satisfies the PDE, but why does doing that work? Is it because if x-ct is a solution so is any function of it? That just doesn't sound right since you'd need at least two linearly independent solutions to make that kind of generalization. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. :)

Mucho thanks if anyone can point out what basic thing I'm missing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bullet_ballet said:
"Verify that, for any C¹ function f(x), u(x, t) = f(x - ct) is a solution of the PDE u_t + c u_x = 0, where c is a constant and u_t and u_x are partial derivatives."

I managed to get the solution for this and a similar problem by acting on what the new variable is (x - ct in this case), but why does doing that work? Is it because if x-ct is a solution so is any function of it? That just doesn't sound right since you'd need at least two linearly independent solutions to make that kind of generalization. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. :)

Mucho thanks if anyone can point out what basic thing I'm missing.

f(x-ct) represents a function that is moving along the x-axis with velocity c. The variable x-ct is widely used in wave propagation phenomena, because making this traslation you are traveling just over the wave edge, so that some variables remain constant viewed at that point. It is true that f(x-ct) is the solution of your PDE (named a characteristic equation), but f has to be figured out by means of your boundary conditions.

I'm not sure of having answered you completely.

I don't think I was specific enough. I was asking why I could use x-ct to satisfy the PDE and show that f(x-ct) is therefore a solution.

Having done this for a couple of different problems, it seemed like I could draw the conclusion that if the PDE held for some a(x,t), then the solution to the PDE could be stated as u(x,t) = f(a(x,t)).

bullet_ballet said:
Having done this for a couple of different problems, it seemed like I could draw the conclusion that if the PDE held for some a(x,t), then the solution to the PDE could be stated as u(x,t) = f(a(x,t)).

x-ct is NOT a solution of your PDE. It's only a "special variable" which enhances a simpler solution. Why, because viewing your PDE one can establish:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt}=c[/tex] ----> along the rect [tex]x-ct=x_o[/tex] u(x,t)=f(xo) is a constant.

f is a solution of your PDE but x-ct is not a solution.

Sure, Clausius2!
u(x,t)=x-ct is certainly A solution of that differential equation.
(f is here the identity function)

arildno said:
Sure, Clausius2!
u(x,t)=x-ct is certainly A solution of that differential equation.
(f is here the identity function)

You are not allowed to substitute any value for f if you do not know (as me) the boundary conditions. So that, for the problem he posted, f=1 is not a general solution. Perhaps some boundary conditions enhances your reply, but this is not the case.

Without boundary conditions, a differential equation has a multitude of solutions.
If you put on boundary conditions and the problem is well-posed, you'll have a unique f satisfying BOTH the differential equation and the boundary conditions.
I never said f=x-ct (or f=1) are a GENERAL solution, I said it was A solution.

arildno said:
Without boundary conditions, a differential equation has a multitude of solutions.
I never said f=x-ct (or f=1) are a GENERAL solution, I said it was A solution.

Ok Norwegian (well written?, sorry if not) friend, If you want we could come up with a settlement:

u=x-ct is only a solution for a concrete boundary conditions.
u=f(x-ct) is the most general solution (not general in the sense you wrote, only in the sense of generallity) for that problem.

Is it Ok?

u=f(x-ct) is certainly, indisputably, factually and necessarily the most general solution (of the differential equation).

There exist a well-posed problem in which u(x,t)=x-ct is the unique solution.
Is that OK?

(I don't think we had much disagreement in the first place..)

Ha Ha Ha! :rofl:

OK! We have reached an agreement!

Where are the beers?

(What would say Bullet Ballet of all this stuff? :confused: )

I think :confused: is his answer..:wink:

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure, changes over time and space. It contains partial derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the quantity with respect to each of its variables.

2. Why is it important to verify PDEs?

Verifying PDEs is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the equation. It allows us to check for mistakes or errors in the derivation process and ensures that the equation accurately represents the physical system being modeled.

3. How is a PDE verified?

PDEs can be verified through various methods, such as mathematical analysis, numerical simulations, and experimental data. Mathematical analysis involves manipulating the equation to check for consistency and solving it for known solutions. Numerical simulations use computer algorithms to solve the equation and compare the results to known solutions. Experimental data can also be used to verify PDEs by testing the equation against real-world observations.

4. What are the benefits of verifying PDEs?

Verifying PDEs has several benefits, including ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the equation, providing a deeper understanding of the physical system being modeled, and allowing for the prediction of future behavior of the system. It also allows for the identification of any errors or limitations in the equation, which can lead to improvements and advancements in the field.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying PDEs?

While verifying PDEs is an important process, it does have some limitations. Mathematical analysis and numerical simulations may not always provide accurate results due to simplifications and assumptions made in the process. Additionally, experimental data may not always be available or may be limited in its scope, leading to potential errors in the verification process.