Uniform Electric Field Calculation: Proton and Electron Motion

• Thread starter doublec4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a uniform electric field of magnitude 678 N/C exists between two parallel plates that are 4.02 cm apart. A proton and an electron are released from the positive and negative plates, respectively, at the same time. The acceleration of each particle is proportional to the strength of the field and their respective charges, and inversely proportional to their masses. The particles are expected to meet at a distance that is not the midpoint between the plates.
doublec4

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field of magnitude 678 N/C exists between two parallel plates that are 4.02 cm apart. A proton is released from the positive plate at the same instant that an electron is released from the negative plate. Determine the distance from the positive plate at which the two pass each other. (Ignore the electrical attraction between the proton and electron.)

Homework Equations

no relevant questions I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I'm not even sure how to approach this question in terms of acceleration and velocity of these masses due to an electric field. I don't want somebody to do my homework for me, I just need some guidance of what equations to use and how to set them up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
several ideas I can think of immediately are (ie. may not be completely reliable):
parallel plates -> uniform field -> constant acceleration while particles are moving. Force and field strength are related in a simple manner (check your text).. with a bit of luck they should meet at the midpoint between the plates(that's only a guess) It remains for you to work out an expression for the field strength as function of distance away from the plates (or would this be an overkill? nice to check anyway...)

the plates are pretty close and the field is uniform so the prof told us that the field strength would not weeken. He also mentioned that midway is not the correct answer...

Well here is a hint. The acceleration of a particle in an electric field is proportional to the strength of the field and charge (q) of the particle; and inversely proportional to the mass of the particle. I basically gave you a formula in words.

ah yes, forgot about the difference in mass, my apology

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. It can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It causes objects to fall towards the ground and gives weight to objects on the Earth's surface.

5. What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it, and the greater the acceleration of an object, the more force is required.