1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Physics Vector Dynamics

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/untitled.jpg

recently had this question on a test, we're told the left block moves up the incline at a constant rate. heres what i did

Fnet = Fappl - Fopp
    Fnet = 0 because no acceleration

Fopp = Fappl

the applied force would only be the weight of the right one, and the opposing force would only be friction on the incline?
    does the force weight of A (Fw for a times sin theta) also oppose the motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    The net force on WHAT is zero? Do a force diagram for each block. The one on the right has a force of gravity pulling down and a force of tension pulling up, however it is sitll descending, which tells you something.

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    that is taking the system, since there is no accel the fnet if the system is zero, and the applied force is the weight of the hanging one. i was wondering what the opposing forces would be.

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4
    The right block (descending) has an et force of zero, which means the force of gravity pulling down equals the force of tension, pulling up. What's causing the force of tension? The other block, so whats the force on the other block...

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    just got it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?