1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Plasma Question

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Recently I have heard that to contain a plasma, you need both an electric and magnetic field.

I'd like to look into this more, does anyone know where I can find information on it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2
    I cant remember where it is but look up a toroid plasma reactor thingy. It uses magnetic fields. Found out about it as we were making our amateur particle accelerator. The reactor starts with a T...thats all i know :)

EDIT: Tokamak <---that's it.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    That's the problem.

I can find articles on the EXISTENCE of a Tokamak, but nothing on the physics that I can understand.

Maby that's the problem, I COULD just look up a bunch of papers on plasma confinement, but I know I wouldn't understand them..

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4
  6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    MMM!!!

thanks very much

wow...261 pages. I hope I have the time, perservearence, and knowledge to understand it all.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
    It depends on the plasma.

A candle flame, a very weak plasma, requires nothing to "contain it". A bolt of lightning is self-contained by its own electromagnetic pinch. The plasma in a neon sign is contained by glass (though it forms a sheath parallel to the glass surface). And the plasma in the Sun is almost contained by gravity (but it leaks out through the solar wind)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook