Quick Poll: Do you suffer from seasonal allergies?

• Thread starter nitsuj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: Allergy? What is that?A sensitivity to a substance which, upon prolonged exposure, can result in speckled blue hair.

Do you suffer from seasonal allergies?

• Yes, I suffer from seasonal allergies

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No, I do not suffer from seasonal allergies

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
nitsuj
Just a poll as the title says,

On the weather network poll, the split is nearly exactly 50/50 (delta is 150ish), on 16,000 votes!

I was suprised to see that split, just want to see what happens here. Thanks for playing!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't vote because my condition isn't listed. My dust allergy is perpetual rather than seasonal as a rule, but sometimes is worse in summer because the ground is dry. Snow prevents stuff from blowing around.

Allergy? What is that?

Nope.

Borek said:
Allergy? What is that?

A sensitivity to a substance which, upon prolonged exposure, can result in speckled blue hair.

Hayfever buddy, it's a killer >.>

Not literally... that I know of at least

I have allergies year round.

I was somewhat afflicted up to the age 13,14 or so, but then I grew up.
It is difficult to solve non-linear partial differential equations while you sneeze!

I have no real allergies, but severe physical reactions to fragrance chemicals, MSG, etc. I have seen (regularly) the top chemical-injury doctor in New England (he's at Dartmouth-Hitchcock) and he essentially gave up, saying only avoidance can keep things under control.

I think so?
My allergies seem to come and go, once or twice a year. Usually twice since I moved to Texas from California. Although since we went into a drought, I have not had any problems since. I'm guessing because of that its some plant allergy, probably pollen.

Danger said:
A sensitivity to a substance which, upon prolonged exposure, can result in speckled blue hair.

:rofl:

Evo said:
I have allergies year round.

Ah but do you have different allergies during each season? In which case you would still have seasonal allergies that just overlap each other.

I used to be allergic to something related to cats (not sure what). But not any more. Don't know why. No seasonal allergies. But on the rare occasions when I was exposed to extreme dust, I got sick for a few days.

I have both seasonal and year round allergies. My worst is towards Ragweed in the fall, but my springtime allergies have gotten worse lately. And I seem to keep developing more. I was tested in 2005 and again in 2011 and there were significant differences. I developed an allergy to cats, although there is only one with a lot of dander that bothers me.

I started immunotherapy shots last year and have made it all the way up to the full maintenance dose that I'll be getting once a month for the next few years. I'm hoping this fall will show a significant difference, but plenty of antihistamine keeps it pretty well under control.

1. What are seasonal allergies?

Seasonal allergies, also known as hay fever, are allergic reactions that occur during specific times of the year, typically when plants release pollen. This can cause symptoms such as sneezing, congestion, and watery eyes.

2. What are the common triggers for seasonal allergies?

The most common triggers for seasonal allergies are pollen from trees, grass, and weeds. Other triggers may include mold spores and dust mites.

3. How can I tell if I have seasonal allergies?

If you experience symptoms such as sneezing, itchy eyes, and a runny nose during certain times of the year, it is likely that you have seasonal allergies. It is best to consult with a doctor for an official diagnosis.

4. Can seasonal allergies be treated?

Yes, there are various treatments available for seasonal allergies, including over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, and allergy shots. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the best treatment plan for your specific allergies.

5. Is there anything I can do to prevent seasonal allergies?

While it is impossible to completely prevent seasonal allergies, there are steps you can take to reduce your exposure to allergens. These include staying indoors on high pollen days, keeping windows closed, and using air filters in your home. It is also important to regularly clean and vacuum your home to minimize the presence of allergens.