1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Projectile Question!

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is fired horizontally from a gun that is 43.0 m above flat ground, emerging from the gun with a speed of 300 m/s. (a) How long does the projectile remain in the air? (b) At what horizontal distance from the firing point does it strike the ground? (c) What is the magnitude of the vertical component of its velocity as it strikes the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    I already solved both (a) and (b) by using the vy=v0y + ayt and vx=vox + axt, i got 3 seconds for (a) and 890m for (b), I just don't know how to solve for (c)

3. The attempt at a solution
    For (c), I tried using the vy=v0y + ayt formula and plugging in the time as 3 seconds and i got an answer of -29.4 which came out to be wrong, i also plugged in 300m/s as the v and multiplied it by sin0. Let me know what I'm doing wrong on this problem, I don't know any other way to look at it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They just want the magnitude.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?