1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Proof rigor check.

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be a real uniformly continuous function on the bounbed set E in R. Prove that f is bounded on E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since f is uniformly continuous, [tex]\left|f(x)-f(y)\right|< \epsilon[/tex] if [tex]\left|x-y\right|< \delta[/tex]. Since E is bounded, there exists some maximal distance between x and y; let M be the upper limit and P be the lower limit of E. Then

[tex]\left|x-y\right|< \\left|M-P\right|<[/tex]. If M, P are not in E, then define two sequences {x_n} and {y_n} such that lim n->infinity {x_n}=M and lim n->infinity {y_n} = P.

Then the definition of uniform continuity implies that if we let [tex] \delta = abs(M-P)[/tex], so that abs(x-y) < delta for all x, y then abs(f(x)-f(y))< epsilon for all f(x), f(y), with epsilon equal to lim n->infinity {f(x_n)}=M and lim n->infinity {f(y_n)}

I feel fairly solid about this, but I'm finding the difference between absolute continuity and continuity a bit confusing and would like a rigor/correctness check.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    Here's where your proof goes wrong:

You can't just pick a delta like this. You can only pick an epsilon and then prove existence of delta using the definition of uniform continuity. Here's how I would prove it:

Choose arbitrary epsilon > 0. Then there exists delta>0 such that as long as |x-y|<delta, |f(x)-f(y)|<epsilon. Choose N so large that N delta > |M-P|. Now, choose arbitrary x0 in E. Then we must have f(x0) - epsilon N < f(x) < f(x0) + epsilon N for all x in E (check this). This proves the theorem.

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    Hm, ok. So that is the same idea I think; or at least that makes complete sense and I was just being silly.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook