Does density affect the buoyancy of submerged objects?

In summary, when an irregular 3 kg lump of material is fully submerged in a certain fluid, it will either move upward, downward or remain in place depending on the relationship between its weight and the buoyant force. When the same lump is fully submerged in a less dense fluid, it will move downward due to the decrease in buoyant force caused by the decrease in fluid density. The buoyant force is dependent on the mass of the fluid and the acceleration due to gravity, and as the density of the fluid increases, so does its mass and buoyancy. However, if the density decreases, the mass and buoyancy decrease as well, resulting in a greater weight and downward movement of the lump. The borderline case would be when the density
Velouria555

Homework Statement

We fully submerge an irregular 3 kg lump of material in a certain fluid. The fluid that would have been in the space now occupied by the lump has a mass of 2 kg. a) When we release the lump, does it move upward, downward, or remain in place? b) If we next fully submerge it in less dense fluid and again release it, what does it do?

Homework Equations

Fb=mfg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I just assumed that Fg is > b since the mass of the lump is greater than the mass of the water displaced.
I know that for b) it also goes downward, but why? Does density simply not matter because it's not factored into the equation for buoyancy or would the result be different if we submerged the lump in a fluid that is more dense?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the factors buoyant force is dependent on ? and what factors remain constant when when we use a less or more dense liquid instead of the one we are using now?

Last edited:
Likes Velouria555
Suraj M said:
What are the factors buoyant force is dependent on and what factors remain constant when when we use a less or more dense liquid instead of the one we are using now

Well, Fb is dependent on mass of the fluid and g. Mass=ρV.. So as density of the fluid increases, so does its mass and therefore, its buoyancy? But if it decreases, the mass decreases as well so Fg will be even greater than Fb and the object will definitely go downward...? Is this correct?

Btw, thanks for the help!

Velouria555 said:
Well, Fb is dependent on mass of the fluid and g. Mass=ρV.. So as density of the fluid increases, so does its mass and therefore, its buoyancy? But if it decreases, the mass decreases as well so Fg will be even greater than Fb and the object will definitely go downward...? Is this correct?
Yes. What is the borderline case?

Your answer is right, I was just responding to this
Velouria555 said:
Does density simply not matter because it's not factored into the equation for buoyancy or would the result be different if we submerged the lump in a fluid that is more dense?

Hope you got your answer.

haruspex said:
Yes. What is the borderline case?

Hi haruspex! Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand. Borderline case as in...?

Suraj M said:
Your answer is right, I was just responding to this

Hope you got your answer.
I believe so, thanks for your help! Sometimes I feel completely certain I know how to solve a problem in physics only to be totally wrong so I appreciate your confirmation that I was going in the right direction :)

Likes Suraj M
Velouria555 said:
Hi haruspex! Sorry, I'm not sure that I understand. Borderline case as in...?
You considered a case where density is more than or less than then that leaves out a borderline case right? Something in between?

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter (mass) is packed into a certain volume. It is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume.

2. How is density different from weight?

Density is a property of matter that is independent of the size or shape of an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

3. How does an object's density affect its buoyancy?

An object with a higher density than the fluid it is placed in will sink, while an object with a lower density will float. This is because the fluid exerts an upward force, called buoyancy, on an object that is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.

4. Why do some objects float while others sink?

The density of an object determines whether it will float or sink. Objects with a lower density than the fluid they are placed in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink.

5. How do you calculate the density of an object?

The formula for density is density = mass/volume. To calculate the density of an object, you need to measure its mass and volume using appropriate units, such as grams for mass and cubic centimeters for volume.