1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Q

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    I have a funtion which is ln(x)/x

The derivative is 1-ln(x)\x^2

I need to find the absolute max and absolute min. Now I know I need to find the critical numbers first then plug in to f(x) but I am having trouble finding the critical numbers..

x^2 = 0 so x = 0

1-ln(x) = 0 so x = e

But now Iam confused on what to do. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2
    Also Iam not sure what to do or how to find the critical numbers of this:

-[(cos(x))^2 + (sin x)(sin x) + 2]/(sin x + 2)^2

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    anyone???????

5. Nov 7, 2006 #4
    For ln(x)/x, you should try to sketch the function to see what it does. As far as I can tell, it starts at x=0, f(x) = -infinity, climbs sharply to a peak at x = e, f(x) = 1/e, and then slopes downwards towards x = infinity, f(x) tending to 0. So the only finite turning point is at x = e.

6. Nov 7, 2006 #5
    So now would i just plug e in the function and see what number is produced to determine my max and min?

7. Nov 8, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the first problem, x= 0 is NOT a critical number because the function itself, ln(x)/x is not defined at x= 0 but x= e is.

Is that the original function or its derivative?
    I ask since the derivative of cos(x)/(sin(x)+ 2) is (-sin(x)(sin(x)+ 2)+ cos^2(x))/(sin(x)+ 2)^2, similar to what you have (but not exactly equal).
    If that is the derivative then you critical points are where the fraction is equal to 0 or does not exist. A fraction is 0 if and only if its numerator is 0, does not exist if and only if its denominator is 0 so you need to find where the numerator -sin(x)(sin(x)+ 2)+ cos^2(x)= 0 and where the denominator (sin(x)+ 2)^2= 0. Since sin(x) is never equal to -2, the denominator is never 0. Rewrite the first equation (and notice it is my version, not yours) as -sin^2(x)- 2sin(x)+ 1- sin^2(x)= 0 or 2sin^2(x)+ 2 sin(x)- 1= 0. I would write that as y^2+ 2y= 1 (with y= sin(x)) and complete the square: y^2+ 2y+ 1= 2 so (y+ 1)^2= 2. y= -1+ sqrt(2) and y= -1- sqrt(2). sin(x)= -1+ sqrt(2) gives x= arctan(sqrt(2)-1) but there is no x such that sin(x)= -1- sqrt(2) since that is less than -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?