1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick QM question(s)

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to "sure"up my Quantum Mechanics and found an sheet of mostly conceptual review questions. A sort of "Quantum minima".

I'd like to check my answers to a couple of these.

Firstly:

In terms of state vector the wavefunction is the expansion coefficient (probability amplitude) of a state i.e

[tex] \psi = \langle x \left | \psi \right\rangle [/tex]

What happens if you put an operator (e.g. p) between the bra and ket as if you were calculating an expectation value? i.e.

[tex] \left\langle x \left | p \right | \psi \right \rangle [/tex]

My guess is that the action of the operator on the state vector [itex]\left|\psi\right\rangle[/itex] will collapse the vector to a single basis vector of p [itex]\left| p \right\rangle [/itex] the expression above would reduce to an element of a basis transformation matrix [itex]\left\langle x | p \right\rangle [/itex]

Is that correct...at least in part?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite. The action of p on the ket psi leads to a ket phi, generally different. Then the matrix element with the bra x leads to a complex number, namely phi(x).

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

What would the physical interpretation of the complex number phi(x) be? The wavefunction of the state with eigenvalue of p?

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's a generic wavefunction. No relation to spectral values of p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook