1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick QM question

1. Sep 29, 2006 #1
    The schrodinger eq is 1st order in t. Why does that matter to the probability interpretation?

Should be an easy question, but I can't seem to get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a suggestion you might want to investigate. When solving the SE by the method of separation of variables, we find that the time dependant part of the solution is [itex]\exp{iEt/\hbar}[/itex], and the position dependant part satisfies the time-independant SE. Denote [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] the solution to the time independant SE for a given potential. Then the general solution to the SE is [itex]\Psi(x,t)=\psi(x)e^{iEt/\hbar}[/itex], and according to the Born interpretation, [itex]\Psi \Psi^*[/itex] is a probability density function for the position of the particle. But [itex]\Psi \Psi^* = \psi\psi^*[/itex]. I.e. the probability density is is time independant!

So the question is, would the time dependant part of the [itex]\Psi[/itex] still be such that the probability is time independant if the t "dependance" of the SE was not of first order?

4. Sep 29, 2006 #3
    Interestingly, Schrödinger originally started with a relativistic equation, but didn't know what to do with the negative probability densities that resulted, so came up with the final non-relativistic equation instead.

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    Ok I understand what you said there (I think), but I can't make the jump to what would happen if it wasn't 1st order in t. I know how to derive the equation from dealing with wave packets, I know why it's 1st order & how to get the time independent SE eigenvalue equation.

Call it a lack of imagination. I can't see how it could be different. I know the difference between the SE & the familiar wave equation, but I can't see how to get probabilities out of the latter.

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It should have to do with what Daverz said. I.e. that a different order in t will give us negative probabilities... but how could that be? Whatever the solution [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] to a modified SE, the complex conjugate of [itex]\Psi[/itex] is still it's norm squared, which is still positive no matter what. :confused:

7. Oct 17, 2007 #6
    Bump. I was going through old posts & needed some closure here. Thanks to whoever moved this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?