1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick QM Question

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an initial ave function [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] at t=0, and a complete set of energy eigenfunctions [tex]\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex] with corresponding eigenenergies E_n for a particle, and no other information, in therms of the given find:

a. Find the state of the particle at a later time

Solution: [tex]\Psi(x,t) = T(t)*\varphi_{n}(x) = e^{-iE_{n}t/\hbar}\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex]

b. what is the probability that a measurement of energy will yield a particular value E_n?
    [tex]<E> = \sum_{n}C_{n}P(C_n)[/tex]
    Where P is the probability but I don't know where to go from here.

c. Find an expression for the average energy of the particle in terms of the enrgy eigenvalues:
    [tex]<E>=1/n \sum_{i=1}^{n}E_{n}[/tex]

All seems right besides b? Any hints on b?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    One important point you're missing is that [tex] \psi [/tex] can be any linear combination of the energy eigenfunctions [tex]\phi_n[/tex]. Try the problem armed with the knowledge that:

[tex]
    \Psi(x,t) = \Sigma_n \phi_n(x,t)
    [/tex]

I would be glad to answer any further questions, but this seemed to be the major stumbling block.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    oh, duh...

a.
    [tex]\Psi(x) = \sum b_{n}\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex]

which implies

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \sum b_{n}e^{-iE_{n} t/ \hbar} \varphi_{n}[/tex]

Which means in part b the probability of yielding E_n is simply b_n, correct?

[tex]b_{n} = <\varphi_{n}|\Psi(x)>[/tex]

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    hrm, LaTeX is either messing up for me or I missed something in my formatting but hopefully you can see what I meant for Psi in my second post

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Note that
    [tex]
    b_{n} = <\varphi_{n}|\Psi(x)>
    [/tex]
    Can be a complex number. Does a complex probably mean anything? Hint hint...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook