Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Quick QM Question

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an initial ave function [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] at t=0, and a complete set of energy eigenfunctions [tex]\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex] with corresponding eigenenergies E_n for a particle, and no other information, in therms of the given find:

a. Find the state of the particle at a later time

Solution: [tex]\Psi(x,t) = T(t)*\varphi_{n}(x) = e^{-iE_{n}t/\hbar}\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex]

b. what is the probability that a measurement of energy will yield a particular value E_n?
    [tex]<E> = \sum_{n}C_{n}P(C_n)[/tex]
    Where P is the probability but I don't know where to go from here.

c. Find an expression for the average energy of the particle in terms of the enrgy eigenvalues:
    [tex]<E>=1/n \sum_{i=1}^{n}E_{n}[/tex]

All seems right besides b? Any hints on b?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2
    One important point you're missing is that [tex] \psi [/tex] can be any linear combination of the energy eigenfunctions [tex]\phi_n[/tex]. Try the problem armed with the knowledge that:

[tex]
    \Psi(x,t) = \Sigma_n \phi_n(x,t)
    [/tex]

I would be glad to answer any further questions, but this seemed to be the major stumbling block.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    oh, duh...

a.
    [tex]\Psi(x) = \sum b_{n}\varphi_{n}(x)[/tex]

which implies

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \sum b_{n}e^{-iE_{n} t/ \hbar} \varphi_{n}[/tex]

Which means in part b the probability of yielding E_n is simply b_n, correct?

[tex]b_{n} = <\varphi_{n}|\Psi(x)>[/tex]

5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    hrm, LaTeX is either messing up for me or I missed something in my formatting but hopefully you can see what I meant for Psi in my second post

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Note that
    [tex]
    b_{n} = <\varphi_{n}|\Psi(x)>
    [/tex]
    Can be a complex number. Does a complex probably mean anything? Hint hint...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook