Solving Quadratic Functions: A Quick Guide

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a function given as y=-3f(2-x)-2 and the confusion about whether to factor out the negative on the x and make a reflection on both the x/y axis. The question is unclear and it is not clear what the person is trying to do with the function. Another question about a function y = sqrt(2(x - 4) + 1) asks whether it is a horizontal or vertical stretch/compression and the person believes it is a vertical stretch because it is outside the bracket. However, there is confusion about the use of notation and the exact function being discussed.
Nelo

Homework Statement

y=-3f(2-x)-2 for the root function...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am given a function like, y=-3f(2-x)-2 for the root function...

Do i factor out the negetive on the x?

Making it.. y=-3f(-(x-2)-2 . making a reflection on both the x/y axis's ? Or is that wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple yes/no answer? :)

I don't want to be rude, but I have no idea what you're trying to do. Is y = f(x)? Is your equation:

f(x) = 3f(2-x) - 2?

What are you trying to do with this?

"Yes, No" to what question? You titled this "Quick Quadratics Question", but there is no quadratic in the problem. You say you are given the "root" function -3(2- x)- 2. What do you mean by "root function"? and , as gb7nash aked what are you trying to do with it?

Perhaps the thing to do is to solve for x in terms of y? I don't fully understand this either. You could isolate x on the left and that might be what is being asked? Not sure? will look forward to the correct solution.

::: (sqrt)2(x-4) +1

Is this a horizontal or vertical stretch/compression?

I said it was a vertical, since its outside the bracket.

Nelo said:
::: (sqrt)2(x-4) +1

Is this a horizontal or vertical stretch/compression?

I said it was a vertical, since its outside the bracket.
Please stop using your (sqrt) notation, with parenthes around "sqrt". Put the parentheses around the expression whose square root you're taking. With your notation it's impossible to tell whether the +1 is inside the radical or outside.

Is this your function?
y = sqrt(2(x - 4) + 1)

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of degree 2, meaning it has an equation of the form f(x) = ax² + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is commonly represented as a parabola when graphed.

2. How do I solve a quadratic function?

To solve a quadratic function, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or completing the square. These methods help you find the values of x that make the function equal to 0, also known as the solutions or roots of the function.

3. What are the different forms of a quadratic function?

The standard form of a quadratic function is f(x) = ax² + bx + c, but it can also be written in factored form as f(x) = a(x - p)(x - q), where p and q are the roots of the function. It can also be written in vertex form as f(x) = a(x - h)² + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola.

4. When do I need to solve a quadratic function?

You may need to solve a quadratic function in various real-life applications such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a parabolic-shaped object, calculating the trajectory of a projectile, or determining the break-even points in business or economics. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and calculus.

5. What are some tips for solving quadratic functions?

Some tips for solving quadratic functions include factoring out common factors, finding the roots of the function using the quadratic formula, checking for extraneous solutions, and using graphing techniques to visualize the solutions. It is also important to pay attention to the signs of the coefficients and constants in the function to correctly solve for the solutions.