Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick quantum Q

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1
    well my question was this....I was reading about symmetry in physics...feymann was talking about the wave function....if you have two identcal particles in different places......and find there wave functions...blah blah blah....the he mutiplied one of the wave fuctions by a factor of e^i (delta sign).

where did the e^i (delta) come from?

and what happens if the delta happens to be pi (e^i(pi))=-1

Sorry if this postive doesn't make any sense I am a hurry right now. but I can re-write it late if needed

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pure states in quantum mechanics are described by unit rays in the separable Hilbert space of states (for simplicity,only discrete spectra of observables).[itex] \psi [/itex] and [itex] C\psi [/itex] describe the same pure quantum state,as long as [itex] |C|=1 [/itex],with [itex] C\in\mathbb{C} [/itex].

Daniel.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

and when a complex number c has norm 1 it lies on the unit circle in the complex plane, which is parametrized by the reals mod pi: [tex]c = e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex]. Basic result in complex variables.

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4
    To further expand, you should realise that (assuming the states are normalised)

[tex]e^{i\theta}(|a\rangle +|b\rangle )\neq |a\rangle +e^{i\theta} |b\rangle[/tex]

Where [itex]e^{i\theta}\neq 1[/itex]It's all about relative phase...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?