Quick question about collisions

• Thread starter dandy9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the problem presents three carts of different masses and velocities moving on a frictionless track. After colliding, the carts stick together and the final velocity is found to be 2.2m/s. The question is whether all three carts must collide and stick together at the same time and a mathematical demonstration is suggested to prove that the end result will be the same regardless of the order of collisions.
dandy9

Homework Statement

Three carts of masses 4.0 kg, 10 kg, and 3.0 kg move on a frictionless horizontal track with speeds of 5.0 m/s, 3.0 m/s, and -4.0 m/s, as shown in Figure P6.34. The carts stick together after colliding. Does your answer require that all carts collide and stick together at the same time?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v1+m3v3 = (m1+m2+m3)v

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the final velocity of all three carts to be 2.2m/s.
The part that I'm confused about is if the carts need to collide and stick together at the same time. I tried googling it, but I kept finding different answers - some ppl saying "yes" and others saying "no". Even if I found a consistent answer, what I'm really looking for is a why?

I have a quiz tomorrow on collisions. If someone could help me out really soon I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a mathematical demonstration? Derive a symbolic expression for the final velocity if all three come together at once. Then find the result of two carts collide first, then a third afterwords. Do it all symbolically and show that the end result is the same. Since the "real" cart's characteristics can be assigned to any of the variable pairs (mass and velocity), the result holds for any combination and order of collisions.

1. How do collisions occur?

Collisions occur when two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy or momentum.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision depends on factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved, as well as the presence of any external forces.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost.

4. How is the conservation of momentum applied in collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of the objects involved in the collision will be the same before and after the collision.

5. How are collisions studied and analyzed in science?

Collisions are studied and analyzed through experiments and mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the objects involved, such as their mass and velocity. High-speed cameras and simulations are also used to study collisions in detail.