Quick question about concavity

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
In summary, the parametric equation given has a second derivative of (e^-t+e^t-2)/(1-e^t)^2, which can be factored into a perfect square trinomial and used to determine the concavity of the equation. The original calculation may have been incorrect or missing some necessary formatting, but the correct second derivative can be easily derived.
tnutty
I found a second derivative to the parametric equation :

x = t - e^t

y = t +e^-t

d^2y / dx^2 = e^-t+e^t-2 / (1-e^t)^3

I tried to do some tricks to it, but could not figure out its concavity, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you found the wrong second derivative. What did you do to get that?

Its correct, because the online H.W said it is. Now it asks for its concavity. By the way this is Calc2, and not the concavity lesson on Calc1, if that helps any.

I agree with Hogger that your second derivative is wrong. I don't much care what the online HW said. The exponent on the expression in the denominator should be 2, not 3.
Also, you need parentheses surrounding the three terms in the numerator.

Without getting too elaborate with the LaTeX coding, your equation would be improved by looking like this:
d2y/dx2 = (et - 2 + e-t)/(1 - et)2

As it turns out, and fortunately for you, et - 2 + e-t can be factored. It's a perfect square trinomial. Having it factored makes it much easier to determine when d2y/dx2 is positive and when it's negative, which you'll need to determine concavity.

1. What is concavity?

Concavity is a measure of the curvature of a graph. It describes the direction in which a function is curving at a particular point.

2. How is concavity determined?

Concavity is determined by looking at the second derivative of a function. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up, and if it is negative, the function is concave down.

3. What is the significance of concavity?

Concavity is important in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of functions. It can tell us about the maximum and minimum points of a function, as well as the shape of its graph.

4. How does concavity relate to the graph of a function?

The concavity of a function is reflected in the shape of its graph. A concave up function will have a graph that is shaped like a cup, while a concave down function will have a graph that is shaped like a frown.

5. Can concavity change at different points on a graph?

Yes, concavity can change at different points on a graph. A function can be concave up in one region and then switch to being concave down in another region. This is known as a point of inflection.