How Does the Conjugate of e^(it) Extend to e^(-it)?

• Thread starter Dissonance in E
  • Start date
In summary, conjugates in chemistry are a pair of molecules or atoms connected by a chemical bond, formed through a process called conjugation. They play a significant role in organic chemistry, altering the properties of a molecule and being used in biochemical processes and pharmaceutical synthesis. Conjugates can be reversible, and they can change the physical, chemical, and biological properties of a molecule.
Dissonance in E
Hi I have a parametrisation of the unit circle
z = cos(t) + isin(t) = e^(it)
now i guess that the conjugate of that is the same but with a negative coefficient on the imaginary part, namely:
conj z = cos(t) - isin(t)
How does that extend to the e^(it) form? is the following true:
cos(t) - isin(t) = e^(-it)

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{-it}=\cos(-t)+i\sin(-t)[/tex]. cosine is an even function, an sine is an odd function, so

[tex]e^{-it}=\cos(t)-i\sin(t)[/tex]

nice, thanks.

1. What are conjugates in chemistry?

Conjugates in chemistry refer to a pair of molecules or atoms that are connected by a chemical bond. This bond allows them to serve a specific function, such as enhancing solubility or reactivity.

2. How are conjugates formed?

Conjugates are formed through a process called conjugation, where a functional group or molecule is added to an existing molecule. This can be achieved through various chemical reactions, such as addition, substitution, or elimination.

3. What is the significance of conjugates in organic chemistry?

Conjugates play a crucial role in organic chemistry as they can alter the properties of a molecule, making it more reactive or stable. They also play a role in biochemical processes and can be used in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals.

4. Can conjugates be reversible?

Yes, conjugates can be reversible. This means that the functional group or molecule can be removed from the original molecule, restoring it to its original state. This is often seen in biochemical reactions where enzymes facilitate the removal of conjugates.

5. How do conjugates affect the properties of a molecule?

Conjugates can alter the physical, chemical, and biological properties of a molecule. For example, they can change the acidity or basicity of a molecule, enhance its solubility in a specific solvent, or make it more reactive towards other molecules.