Can You Get a Cramp in Your Heart?

• Medical
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to have a cramp in the heart, although it would be different than a heart attack. Low levels of sodium, potassium, and calcium in the blood could cause a cramp in the heart and lead to death.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Is it possible to have a cramp in the heart? It would differ from heart attacks I think, but would also being able to kill. So a simply low level of sodium/potassium/calcium in blood could cause us a cramp in the heart and maybe kill us. I just wonder if it's possible. If not, why?

Biology news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
Is it possible to have a cramp in the heart? It would differ from heart attacks I think, but would also being able to kill. So a simply low level of sodium/potassium/calcium in blood could cause us a cramp in the heart and maybe kill us. I just wonder if it's possible. If not, why?
I believe the heart is a different kind of muscle tissue than the skeletal muscles. It is contiuously working to pump blood, whereas other muscles need to rest. It wouldn't do to well to have a heart muscle that periodically stopped or failed - as in the case of a heart attack.

The heart is an involuntary muscle, whereas the skeletal muscles are voluntary. That's an important distinction.

Anyone who has experienced a muscle cramp (charley horse) can attest to the fact that it can be quite painful. Muscle cramps occur when muscles involuntarily contract and cannot relax.

The skeletal muscles (those over which we have voluntary control) are most prone to cramping. The skeletal muscles in the calf, thigh, and arch of the foot are most notorious sites of cramps.

Cramps can be perceived as mild twitches or may be excruciatingly painful. Typically, cramps cause an abrupt, intense pain in the involved muscle.

Often a muscle that is cramping feels harder than normal to the touch or may even show visible signs of twitching. Most cramps resolve spontaneously within a few seconds to minutes.

It is not known exactly why muscle cramps develop. Insufficient stretching before exercise, exercising in the heat, and muscle fatigue may all play a role in their causation. Imbalances in the levels of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium and phosphate) in the blood can also lead to muscle cramps.
Ref: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/article.htm

Muscle cramps
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003193.htm

Leg pain
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003182.htm
Leg pain can be due to a muscle cramp (also called a charley horse). Common causes of cramps include:

Dehydration or low amounts of potassium, sodium, calcium, or magnesium in the blood
Medications such as:
Diuretics, which can cause you to lose too much fluid or minerals
Statins, which lower cholesterol and can cause muscle injury
Muscle fatigue or strain from overuse, too much exercise, or holding a muscle in the same position for a long time

Charley horse
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002066.htm

Thanks very much for the reply. So the heart would be a different muscle because it works involuntarily and continuously. Just as some muscles involved for respiration and digestion I'd say.

About the quote
The skeletal muscles (those over which we have voluntary control) are most prone to cramping. The skeletal muscles in the calf, thigh, and arch of the foot are most notorious sites of cramps.
, it does not explain why muscles on which we have a voluntary control are more prone to cramps than the others muscles. And this "more prone to cramp" doesn't seem to exclude totally cramps on the other muscles such as the heart.

If the heart and other muscles are completely discarded as being affected by cramps, is there an illness or way for these muscles to be affected by cramps?

I am not sure that there is truly a concrete answer for this question but it probably lies in the differing mechanisms of depolarization of skeletal and cardiac muscle. The latter of which has a characteristic "automaticity" to the depolarization. If you google cardiac muscle depolarization you will undoubtedly find more than enough information to make your head spin.

For what its worth, cardiac muscle does have something akin to cramps/spasms/twitches, except they are called arrhythmias and many of them will lead to death instead of a bit of pain.

Thank you for your question. I can provide some information on this topic. It is not possible to have a cramp in the heart. Cramps occur in skeletal muscles, which are under voluntary control, whereas the heart is a smooth muscle that is involuntarily controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Therefore, the mechanism of a cramp, which involves a sudden and involuntary contraction of the muscle, cannot occur in the heart.

However, there are conditions that can cause chest pain and discomfort, which may be mistaken for a cramp. These include angina, which is a temporary decrease in blood flow to the heart, and coronary artery spasms, which are sudden contractions of the coronary arteries that supply blood to the heart. These conditions can be dangerous if left untreated, but they are not considered cramps.

Regarding your concern about low levels of electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and calcium causing a cramp in the heart, it is important to note that these electrolytes play a crucial role in maintaining the proper functioning of the heart. Low levels of these electrolytes can cause abnormal heart rhythms and potentially lead to heart failure, but they do not cause cramps in the heart.

In conclusion, while a cramp in the heart is not possible, there are conditions that can cause chest pain and discomfort, which may be mistaken for a cramp. It is always important to seek medical attention if you experience chest pain or discomfort to determine the underlying cause and receive appropriate treatment.

1. What causes muscle cramps?

Muscle cramps can be caused by a variety of factors, including dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, overuse or strain of muscles, and certain medical conditions. They can also be a side effect of certain medications or a result of poor circulation.

2. What can I do to prevent muscle cramps?

To prevent muscle cramps, it's important to stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet with adequate amounts of electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium. Stretching and warming up before physical activity can also help prevent cramps.

3. Are muscle cramps dangerous?

In most cases, muscle cramps are not dangerous and will resolve on their own. However, if you experience cramps frequently or they are accompanied by severe pain or other symptoms, it's important to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

4. Can heart problems cause muscle cramps?

While heart problems can sometimes cause muscle cramps, it is not a common symptom. Muscle cramps are more often caused by factors such as dehydration, overuse, or electrolyte imbalances.

5. What should I do if I experience a cramp during exercise?

If you experience a cramp during exercise, stop the activity and gently stretch and massage the affected muscle. Drink plenty of water and wait for the cramp to pass before resuming physical activity. If the cramp persists or is accompanied by severe pain, seek medical attention.