1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about domain

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to do a few graphs and some equations with certain domains but I've never seen the domain written in this way:

[​IMG]

Usually I see the domain written with something like 2<x<4. What exactly does the above mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]x\in (-\infty,2] [/itex] means [itex]-\infty<x\leq 2[/itex] and [itex]x\in(2,\infty)[/itex] means [itex]2<x<\infty[/itex]

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    2+ means go to near 2 from the right side (from number greater than 2) and 2- means go to near 2 from number less than 2 which means the left side

OK, now in here when you want to find the limit of the function because you have a discontinued in 2 (the value of your function is different in left and right of 2) the limit is different wile you look it from left of 2 or right of 2,

the key point is try to find the limit of f from 2+ from the function that is valid in (2,oo) and try to find the limit of f from 2- from the function that is valid in (-oo, 2]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?