Understanding Domain Notation: Explaining 2<x<4 in Graphs and Equations

• Thread starter Incog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the domain for this problem is written in a different format than what is usually seen. The notation x\in (-\infty,2] means that the value of x is greater than negative infinity and less than or equal to 2. Similarly, x\in(2,\infty) means that the value of x is greater than 2 and less than infinity. When finding the limit of a function at a discontinuity, it is important to consider the limit from the left and right sides of the discontinuity.
Incog

Homework Statement

I have to do a few graphs and some equations with certain domains but I've never seen the domain written in this way:

345cwms.jpg

Usually I see the domain written with something like 2<x<4. What exactly does the above mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]x\in (-\infty,2] [/itex] means [itex]-\infty<x\leq 2[/itex] and [itex]x\in(2,\infty)[/itex] means [itex]2<x<\infty[/itex]

2+ means go to near 2 from the right side (from number greater than 2) and 2- means go to near 2 from number less than 2 which means the left side

OK, now in here when you want to find the limit of the function because you have a discontinued in 2 (the value of your function is different in left and right of 2) the limit is different wile you look it from left of 2 or right of 2,

the key point is try to find the limit of f from 2+ from the function that is valid in (2,oo) and try to find the limit of f from 2- from the function that is valid in (-oo, 2]

1. What is a domain?

A domain is a unique name that identifies a website on the internet. It is used to easily locate and access a website on the World Wide Web.

2. How do I choose a domain name?

When choosing a domain name, it is important to choose something that is easy to remember and represents your brand or website. It should also be short, simple, and easy to spell.

3. Can I change my domain name?

Yes, it is possible to change your domain name, but it can be a complicated and time-consuming process. It is important to carefully consider your domain name before purchasing it.

4. How do I register a domain?

To register a domain, you will need to find a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy or Namecheap, and purchase the domain through them. You will also need to provide personal information, such as your name, address, and phone number.

5. How long does a domain registration last?

Typically, a domain registration lasts for one year. However, you can choose to register your domain for a longer period of time, such as 2, 5, or even 10 years.