1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about forces

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Quick question about forces!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skier is sliding down a 15 degree slope. Friction is not negligible. Identify all forces on the skier.

2. Relevant equations

n/a

3. The attempt at a solution

The choices are: Tension, Kinetic Friction, Weight, Static Friction, Thrust, and Normal Force.

I drew a picture and assumed Kin. Friction, Weight, Thrust, and normal force were the answers but I got it wrong.

I don't think static friction is the answer because that is used to determine the force that must be overcome to initiate movement. Tension seems like a cable or string thing and not something that would affect a skier. I guess I don't know what thrust is but would it be correct to say that K. Friction, weight, and N. Force are the only forces on the skier or am I missing something? Thank you for your help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    Re: Quick question about forces!!!

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated =]

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Quick question about forces!!!

Looks right.

There might be thrust if they were pushing with their arms with their poles, but that sounds beyond the scope of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook