What Happens When You Multiply a Vector by Its Gradient Squared?

• Thread starter noon0788
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gradients in vector calculations, specifically in the context of the Physics GRE. The question is about the result of multiplying a vector by the squared gradient of the same vector, and the different interpretations of this expression are explored. It is noted that the gradient is typically applied to a scalar function, but it is possible to apply it to a vector function as well. The possible interpretations of the expression include dot product, cross product, or outer product, which would result in different mathematical expressions.
noon0788
No, this isn't for homework. I'm trying to brush up on gradients for the Physics GRE. Let's say I have vector V.

What is V(gradient squared)V ?

In english, if I multiply the vector to the gradient squared of the same vector, what is that? I'm thinking that it'd just be the gradient of V, but I can't seem to prove it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean
[tex]\vec{V}\nabla^2\vec{V}[/tex]? That is commonly called "del squared". "gradient" is specifically [itex]\nabla f[/itex] where f is a scalar valued function. "curl f" is [itex]\nabla\times \vec{f}[/itex] where f is a vector valued function, and "div f" is [itex]\nabla\cdot \vec{f}[/itex].

Now, [itex]\nabla^2= \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+ \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}+ \frac{\partial }{\partial z^2}[/itex] (in Cartesian coordinates) is also, strictly speaking, applied to a scalar function but it is not uncommon to see it applied to a vector meaning [itex]\nabla^2[/itex] applied to each component.

That is, if
[tex]\vec{v(x,y,z)}= f(x,y,z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/tex] then

[tex]\nabla^2 \vec{v}(x,y,z)= \nabla^2f \vec{i}[/tex][tex]+ \nabla^2g\vec{j}[/tex][tex]+ \nabla^2h \vec{k}[/tex]

a vector. But to say what "[itex]\vec{v}\nabla^2\vec{v}[/itex]" means we would still have to know what kind of vector product that is- dot product or cross product?

If that is dot product and [itex]\vec{v}(x,y,z)= f(x,y,z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] then
[tex]\vec{v}\cdot \nabla^2\vec{v}= f(x,y,z)\nabla^2 f(x,y,z)+ g(x,y,z)\nabla^2 g(x,y,z)+ h(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x, y, z)[/tex]

If, instead, it is the cross product then
[tex]\vec{v}\times\nabla^2\vec{v}= \left(g(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x,y,z)- h(x,y,z)\nabla^2g(x,y,z)\right)\vec{i}- \left(f(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x,y,z)- h(x,y,z)\nabla^2f(x,y,z)\right)\vec{i}+ \left(f(x,y,z)\nabla^2g(x,y,z)- g(x,y,z)\nabla^2f(x,y,z)\right)\vec{k}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
It might also, Halls, be an outer product, i.e a matrix

Good point. In that case it would be
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}f(x,y,z)\nabla^2f(x,y,z) & f(x,y,z)\nabla^2g(x,y,z) & f(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x,y,z) \\ g(x,y,z)\nabla^2f(x,y,z) & g(x,y,z)\nabla^2g(x,y,z) & g(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x,y,z) \\ h(x,y,z)\nabla^2f(x,y,z) & h(x,y,z)\nabla^2g(x,y,z) & h(x,y,z)\nabla^2h(x,y,z)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
in the x, y, z, coordinate system.

1. What is a gradient in science?

A gradient in science refers to a gradual change or variation in a physical or chemical property over a distance. It can be seen in various natural phenomena such as temperature, pressure, and concentration.

2. How is a gradient measured?

A gradient can be measured by calculating the rate of change of a property over a specific distance. This can be done by taking multiple measurements at different points along the distance and using mathematical equations to determine the gradient.

3. What is the importance of gradients in scientific research?

Gradients are important in scientific research as they can provide valuable information about the behavior and interactions of various substances in nature. They can also help in predicting and understanding patterns and processes in the natural world.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative gradient?

A positive gradient indicates that the property being measured is increasing as the distance increases, while a negative gradient indicates that the property is decreasing as the distance increases. A zero gradient means that there is no change in the property over the distance.

5. How are gradients used in different scientific fields?

Gradients are used in various scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and geology. In biology, gradients are important in processes like diffusion and osmosis. In chemistry, gradients play a crucial role in chemical reactions. In physics, gradients are used to understand the movement of objects. In geology, gradients are used to study changes in the Earth's surface and climate.