Calculating Mass of Galena Converted to Lead Oxide: Quick Heat Question

• Thread starter cheechnchong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: The scientific community who resist the positive charge of the nucleus obviously haven't performed rutherford's gold foil experiment. The only way i can see them disagree is because of magnetic fields disregarding the nucleus--the layer of a magnet is what causes the (+) and (-), vice versa--probably their belief (but i think the nucleus has something to do with the magenetic reaction). I dunno, this answer is straight off guessing...
cheechnchong
Problem: Galena (PbS) is heated in air to form lead (II) Oxide.

2PbS(s) + 3O2 (g) --- 2PbO (s) + 2SO2 (g)

What mass of galena is converted to lead oxide if 975 KJ of heat are liberated?

My Approach:

975 KJ x (1mol/827.4KJ) = 1.18 mol

1.18 mol PbS x (239.3g PbS/1mol PbS) = 282g PbS

My concern is whether the 975KJ is in fact 975 KJ/mol...if it is, then it's going to change the answer quite a bit! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if in the problem you are given 975KJ i would assume that its just KJ not KJ/mol.

Stevedye56 said:
Well if in the problem you are given 975KJ i would assume that its just KJ not KJ/mol.

so you think my approach is correct?

Is the the specific heat 827.4KJ?

^^^yes it is...damn i forgot to put that on here oops

cheechnchong said:
^^^yes it is...damn i forgot to put that on here oops

Ok. It looks like the correct procedure assuming your multiplication is right. At first i thought it was q=smdeltaT but there was no temperature so i guess it couldn't be that.

Stevedye56 said:
Ok. It looks like the correct procedure assuming your multiplication is right. At first i thought it was q=smdeltaT but there was no temperature so i guess it couldn't be that.

hmmm, my TA marked it wrong...right now I am guessing whether we have to utilize the equation they provide? what do you think?

I think i found one of the mistakes. KJ/mol is not mol/KJ

Stevedye56 said:
I think i found one of the mistakes. KJ/mol is not mol/KJ

ummm i don't think it's wrong really...i actually think this is right? i think it's right because when you figure out the mol amount (this is an example) from .3g O2, you usually divide it by 32 g/mol right? that's what i thought when i approached this problem...let me know if I am wrong

Hi,
I need help in answering this question...
Why would the scientific community resist the concept of a nucleus full of positive charges and what observation helped them explain adn accept this design?
Thanks,
v

vfdismer001 said:
Hi,
Why would the scientific community resist the concept of a nucleus full of positive charges and what observation helped them explain adn accept this design?
Thanks,
v

Why are you posting this in another thread?

vfdismer001 said:
Hi,
Thanks,
v

well i can only think of ways where the concept is applicable. The scientific community who resist the positive charge of the nucleus obviously haven't performed rutherford's gold foil experiment. The only way i can see them disagree is because of magnetic fields disregarding the nucleus--the layer of a magnet is what causes the (+) and (-), vice versa--probably their belief (but i think the nucleus has something to do with the magenetic reaction). I dunno, this answer is straight off guessing...

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to temperature differences.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. The amount of heat transferred can also be measured using a thermometer to determine temperature changes.

3. What are the three methods of heat transfer?

The three methods of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How does heat affect matter?

Heat can cause changes in the physical state of matter, such as melting or boiling, as well as changes in the chemical properties of substances. It can also cause expansion and contraction of materials.

5. How can heat be controlled or manipulated?

Heat can be controlled or manipulated through insulation, which reduces heat transfer, or by using devices such as thermostats to regulate temperature. Heat can also be generated or removed through various mechanical or chemical processes.