Can You Integrate a Function f(x,y) with Respect to y and Treat x as a Constant?

• Thread starter Je m'appelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, when solving integrals involving two variables, one variable is treated as a constant while the other is integrated with respect to. This is seen in the notation \int f(x,y) \partial y, where 'y' is the variable and 'x' is treated as a constant. On the other hand, \int f(x,y) dy is a common notation for double or triple integrals, where one variable is integrated first and the other is treated as a constant. This can be seen in iterated integrals. There is evidence for this in the way integrals are rewritten and solved in mathematics.
Je m'appelle
I just need to understand the following

[tex]\int f(x,y) \partial y\ is\ solvable\ for\ 'y'\ as\ the\ variable\ and\ 'x'\ as\ a\ constant\ while, [/tex]

[tex]\int f(x,y) dy\ is\ impossible\ to\ solve. [/tex]

Is this correct? If so, could anyone please provide me with evidence for this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Je m'appelle said:
I just need to understand the following

[tex]\int f(x,y) \partial y\ is\ solvable\ for\ 'y'\ as\ the\ variable\ and\ 'x'\ as\ a\ constant\ while, [/tex]
I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't recall ever seeing any integrals with the "partial y" symbol. The whole idea here is that you have some function involving x and y that you want to integrate with respect to y (or x). Even though the function has two variables, you treat one of them as a constant.
Je m'appelle said:
[tex]\int f(x,y) dy\ is\ impossible\ to\ solve. [/tex]
This is actually done all the time when double or triple integrals are rewritten as iterated integrals. If a double integral is written as an iterated integral , the integrand is a function of two variables, and integration is performed first with respect to one of the variables, and then later, with respect to the other. When you integrate with respect to one variable, you are treating the other variable as if it were a constant.
Je m'appelle said:
Is this correct? If so, could anyone please provide me with evidence for this?

Thanks in advance.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a continuous function over a given interval.

2. How are integrals different from derivatives?

Integrals and derivatives are inverse operations. Derivatives tell us how a function is changing at a particular point, while integrals tell us the total value of a function over an interval.

3. What is the purpose of integrals?

Integrals are used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and science, including finding areas, volumes, and solutions to differential equations.

4. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to understand the properties of integrals and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Can integrals only be applied to continuous functions?

Yes, integrals can only be applied to continuous functions. This means that the function must be defined and have a value at every point within the given interval.