Quick Question about latent heat

In summary, The speaker has derived an equation for latent heat, L = kIV∆T/∆M, and is looking for the value of k. They have it written down but are unsure if they wrote a 2 or 7, so it should be either .239 or .739. They also ask for clarification on the meaning of the variables I, V, and k. They mention that they believe k is a constant describing power loss to the surroundings, but are not certain and would like more information.
jcpwn2004
I have a derived equation for latent heat, L = kIV∆T/∆M. I was just wondering what the value for k is. I have it written down in my notebook but i can't tell if i wrote a 2 or a 7, so it should be .239 or .739. If anyone knows it'd be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you could state the exact meaning of the variables, especially that of I, V and k, though I think I know what they mean...

I also have a feeling that k is a constant describing loss of power to the surroundings, but I can't be sure until you provide more info.

The value for k in your equation is dependent on the specific substance and units being used. It is typically determined experimentally or can be found in reference tables. It is important to ensure that the correct value for k is used in your equation to ensure accurate results. If you are unsure of the value, it is best to double check your references or consult with a colleague for confirmation.

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is a form of energy that is absorbed or released during a phase change of a substance, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas.

2. How is latent heat different from sensible heat?

Sensible heat is the energy that is added or removed from a substance to change its temperature, while latent heat is the energy that is absorbed or released during a phase change without a change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of latent heat in everyday life?

Latent heat plays a crucial role in many processes, such as cooking, refrigeration, and weather patterns. It allows for substances to change states, which is essential for various applications.

4. Can latent heat be measured?

Yes, latent heat can be measured using specialized equipment and methods, such as calorimetry. It is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal).

5. How does latent heat affect the Earth's climate?

The absorption and release of latent heat in the atmosphere are key factors in the formation of clouds and precipitation, which have a significant impact on the Earth's climate and weather patterns. This process helps regulate the planet's temperature and plays a vital role in the water cycle.