Exploring the Possibility of Photons Distorting Space: A Quick Question

• Thread starter Teleros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, it is possible for photons to distort the curvature of space, but there is no way to measure how much.
Teleros
I know photons are massless, but is it possible at all for them in the form of say a laser to distort the curvature of space in the same way as an object with mass would? And if so is there any way to measure how much?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Teleros said:
I know photons are massless, but is it possible at all for them in the form of say a laser to distort the curvature of space in the same way as an object with mass would?
Yes, because photons have energy. In General Relativity, the source of gravity (and space-time distortion) is not mass, but energy (really the stress-energy tensor).

Doc Al said:
Yes, because photons have energy. In General Relativity, the source of gravity (and space-time distortion) is not mass, but energy (really the stress-energy tensor).

Situation: i am traveling at 99,999...etc. speed of light and my mass is about 5000% my real mass. so, my gravitational distortion is 5000% more deeper than the stationary condition.

but, as you assume, it's energy that makes the grav field, but i have an incredible cinetic energy (K=1/2mv²/gamma), and the distortion that it produces should grow if i also consider the distortion of my mass (not rest mass...the other i don't know the name) so my grav field is more than i aspect or there is something strange in your quote?

:uhh: Probably should've put a disclaimer about my poor maths in the first post. That article went way over my head:tongue2: ...

Ok now simple energy I can understand (E=MC^2 can do that), but whilst I can understand that working for a single photon, can it work for a laser? If not, what I need is something where you can input say the diameter and length of the laser (plus energy at the target) to work out its equivalent mass (if that makes any sense at all :tongue: ). Damn I wish I could do maths better :( .

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves at the speed of 299,792,458 meters per second.

How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line and can travel through a vacuum or a medium, such as air or water. It can also be reflected, refracted, or absorbed by different materials.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the universal speed limit, as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation, including light. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How is light produced?

Light can be produced in various ways, including through heat, friction, chemical reactions, and electrical currents. In specific materials, such as light bulbs, electrons are excited and emit photons, creating light.