Are There Limitations to Using L'Hospital's Rule for Calculus Limits?

• Thread starter Zill1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: Can you tell me more about what it is and why it's important?The condition is that the limit must exist at every point in order for the rule to be valid. For example, the limit (1+cos x)/1 does not exist at the point x=0, so l'Hôpital's rule does not apply.
Zill1
I'm retaking Calculus I right now during the summer. It's been quite a while but I am pretty much breezing through it except for the limit section. I remember the first time around, my prof didn't put ANY emphasis on limits and I haven't really had to do much of anything with limits since then during my math degree. This prof I have now however, seems to love them. Radicalizing, substitution, factoring them; whatever.

My question is this: I noticed that pretty much any limit he's given me I am able to pretty much take the lazy way out and just do L'Hospitals rule for it and it comes out with the same answer whether its an infinite or finite limit. I won't even begin to pretend I know much about limits but is there a specific time in which I CAN'T do L'Hospitals? Obviously if I look at a single limit like (×-1)^2 I'm not going to start using chain rule on it, but what are my restrictions?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you get further in math, you often go back over old ideas and inspect them more carefully. So limits always have a place in courses later on, and your instructor is enjoying introducing you to this, perhaps at this level, subtle concept. But the topic is a source of many related concepts (for instance multivariable limits) and weird examples.

I'm not sure why you mentioned chain rule. I thought you were talking about l'Ho(s)pital's rule. But if you want to know why the details of the rule are important, try using l'hopital's rule on

[itex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sin(x)}{e^x}.[/itex]

The limit should be zero, but using l'Hopital's rule (incorrectly) can give you one.

Obviously things like [itex]\frac{\sin |x|}{|x|}[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex] are problems.

[itex]\frac{x + \sin x}{x}[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex] is another famous one.

pwsnafu said:
[itex]\frac{x + \sin x}{x}[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow \infty[/itex] is another famous one.
OK, what's the trick here? It seems like the limit meets the conditions of L'hopital's rule, yet it doesn't work. What's going on?

I think you're right lugita15, the limit is one before and after application of l'Ho(s)pital's rule

lugita15 said:
OK, what's the trick here? It seems like the limit meets the conditions of L'hopital's rule, yet it doesn't work. What's going on?

The limit

09d577aee808027079cf3191c0800309.png

must exist in order for

8991dfbd9db5990224ae803c727464a7.png

to be true. So since limx→∞(1+cos x)/1 doesn't exist, l'Hôpital's rule doesn't apply to the original problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

Bohrok said:
The limit

09d577aee808027079cf3191c0800309.png

must exist in order for

8991dfbd9db5990224ae803c727464a7.png

to be true. So since limx→∞(1+cos x)/1 doesn't exist, l'Hôpital's rule doesn't apply to the original problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule
OK, I don't think I ever learned this condition.

1. What are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point.

2. What is the importance of limits?

Limits are important in mathematics because they help in understanding the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point. They also play a crucial role in calculus, as they are used to define derivatives and integrals.

3. How do you evaluate limits?

Limits can be evaluated by using algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the use of limit theorems. In some cases, graphing or numerical methods can also be used to evaluate limits.

4. What are the different types of limits?

The two main types of limits are one-sided limits and two-sided limits. One-sided limits approach a value from either the left or the right side, while two-sided limits approach a value from both sides. Other types of limits include infinite limits and limits at infinity.

5. What is the difference between a limit and a derivative?

A limit is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point, while a derivative is used to describe the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. Derivatives are defined in terms of limits, but they are distinct concepts.