How Do You Algebraically Move a Numerator to the Other Side of an Equation?

• Thread starter Quantum Joe
  • Start date
So, H1 = \frac{H_o*S_1}{-S_o}In summary, to remove the fraction on the left side of the equation and keep only H1, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator of the fraction in which H1 is involved. In this case, we can multiply both sides by -So to get H1 on its own. The algebraic property that describes this is the rule for simplifying fractions by cancelling common factors in the numerator and denominator.
Quantum Joe
I have a formula

Ho / Hi = -So / Si

The question is if I have this:

0.5/Hi = 2.0/8.0

how do I move the 0.5 numerator to the other side of the equation? What is the algebraic property that describes this? I realize this is a simple question but isn't it always the simple ones that get you?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply both numerators by 2. This gives you

1.0/Hi = 4.0/8.0

That should do it.

I don't see how that solves the problem.. I need remove the fraction on the left side and keep only Hi. Maybe I am approaching this wrong, if so could someone explain why? I know that 1/Hi is the same as H^-1.

I think this belongs in homework help. I will post it there.

Quantum Joe said:
I have a formula

Ho / Hi = -So / Si

The question is if I have this:

0.5/Hi = 2.0/8.0

how do I move the 0.5 numerator to the other side of the equation? What is the algebraic property that describes this? I realize this is a simple question but isn't it always the simple ones that get you?

Quantum Joe said:
I don't see how that solves the problem.. I need remove the fraction on the left side and keep only Hi. Maybe I am approaching this wrong, if so could someone explain why? I know that 1/Hi is the same as H^-1.
Then you should have said that to begin with and not just "move the 0.5 numerator to the other side of the equation". In fact, it isn't the numerator that is the problem. To get rid of the fractions multiply both sides of the equations by the denominators:
[tex]\frac{0.5}{H_i}(8.0H_i)= \frac{2.0}{8.0}(8.0H_i)[/tex]
On the left the "Hi" terms cancel and on the right the "8.0" terms cancel:
(0.5)(8.0)= 2.0Hi or 4.0= 2.0Hi.

Use these basic rules of fractions:

Given any numbers (denominator [tex]\neq[/tex] 0) ~ [tex]\frac{a}{b} * \frac{x}{y} = \frac{ax}{by}[/tex]

If there are common factors in both the numerator and denominator, you can cancel them out ~
[tex]\frac{a}{b} * \frac{x}{a} = \frac{ax}{ba} = \frac{x}{b}[/tex]

So, [tex]\frac{H_o}{H_1}=\frac{-S_o}{S_1}[/tex]

If you try to make H1 the subject of the equation, it needs to come out of the denominator.
So, to cancel it from the denominator, multiply both sides by H1

[tex]\frac{H_o}{H_1}*\frac{H_1}{1}=\frac{-S_o}{S_1}*\frac{H_1}{1}[/tex]

Simplifying:

[tex]\frac{H_o}{1}=\frac{-S_o * H_1}{S_1}[/tex]

Now that H1 is in the numerator, simply divide/multiply both sides of the equation by the required variable so as to cancel out those variables on the same side as H1:
Multiplying by S1 and dividing by -So

[tex]\frac{H_o}{1}*\frac{S_1}{-S_o}=\frac{-S_o * H_1}{S_1}*\frac{S_1}{-S_o}[/tex]

Simplifying by cancelling common factors in numerator and denominator:

[tex]\frac{H_o*S_1}{-S_o}=H_1[/tex]

What is a numerator?

A numerator is the top number in a fraction that represents the number of equal parts being considered.

How do you find the numerator in a fraction?

To find the numerator in a fraction, look at the top number. It represents the number of equal parts being considered.

What is the relationship between the numerator and denominator?

The numerator and denominator are two parts of a fraction. The numerator is the top number and represents the number of equal parts being considered, while the denominator is the bottom number and represents the total number of equal parts in a whole.

What is the difference between a numerator and a whole number?

A whole number is a number without a decimal or fraction part. A numerator, on the other hand, is the top number in a fraction that represents the number of equal parts being considered.

Why is it important to understand numerators?

Understanding numerators is important because it allows us to represent and compare parts of a whole. It also helps in performing mathematical operations on fractions.