GA: Understanding the Mysteries of Pi

• Thread starter ValenceE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Pi and how it can be expressed as a decimal number in different bases. The question is raised about how a finite circle can have a non-terminating decimal expansion for Pi. The conversation also delves into the idea of rational and irrational numbers and their representation in different mathematical realms. It is concluded that Pi is not only irrational but also transcendental, and therefore cannot have a finite decimal expansion in any base.
ValenceE
Hello to all,

Quick question about Pi …

If we can have a finite circle, how can Pi not be decimal ?

VE

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi can be expressed as a decimal number, or a binary or in any other base you should choose.

Now, perhaps you should try rephrasing your question.

Thank you for your response Integral,

what I mean by decimal is a number that has finite number of decimals.

Does my OP make more sense ?

VE

I suppose you mean "rational" ?

ValenceE said:
what I mean by decimal is a number that has finite number of decimals.

It seems you should also have a problem with 1/3 being non-terminating then? Also sqrt(2) being the length of the diagonal of a 1x1 square?

A number being "finite", like the circumference of a circle, has no bearing on whether it has a finite number of decimal digits or not.

Hey !, thank's for your replies,

You know what ?, I realize I have a lot of questions about how I comprehend mathematical abstractions.

I know that many ratios of numbers like 1/3 also give an infinite decimal expansion and, yes, it gives me some difficulty to understand some of the math and how it relates to everyday life.

Maybe I’m mixing-up different realms or concepts or rules that just don’t mix together. Here’s an example of my questioning … and reasoning…

Couldn’t we say that a perfect 1 x 3 rectangle exists in the abstract realm ?, if so, then we should be able to divide this rectangle in three perfectly equal 1 x 1 squares , no ?

Why then does the ratio 1/3 not give a finite decimal expansion ?

Where is the flaw in this reasoning ? , what am I juggling with here that doesn’t jive ?

Regards,

VE

ValenceE said:

I'm more inclined to ask: why should it have a terminating decimal expansion?

Don't confuse the ideas of a number that's "finite", like the length of a line segment on a piece of paper, and the idea of a number whose decimal expansion has only finite number of non-zero digits. A non-terminating decimal is not by an means an "infinite" number.

In actual fact, we can't have a PERFECT circle in physical existence, only in theory, mathamatically. this is exactly becuase pi is trancendental, meaning it isn't the root of any polynomials with ration coefficents, basically meaning u can't construct it. study it more, that's how they proved u can't square the circle. also, atoms will create a certain irregularity in the circle, so yea. but of course, they are good aproximations.

valence, imagen this
0,3*3=0,9
0,33*3=0,99
0,333*3=0,999
so if 1/3 is finite amount of decimals then you won't get 1 when its multiplied with 3, you just get a long line of 9s. while a infinite amount of nines after each other equals one since
x=0,9999...
10x=9,9999...
9x=9
x=1

and also you don't really get a excat value of a circles circumferens since you can't measure anything exact

Last edited:
Hey guys, thank you for the replies…

although I hadn’t mentioned it in the OP, the perfect circle in question certainly only exists in the abstract mathematical world. I agree that, even if we were to use the most sophisticated electronic microscope coupled with the most accurate laser cutter, we could not divide anything in perfectly equal parts.

But we surely can represent a perfect circle or rectangle etc. in the math realm.

I don’t have a problem with the infinite number of remainder of 3’s that come from 1/3, I have a problem putting together the fact that if we take the 1 x 3 rectangle as being whole, as being 1, and we divide it in three equal parts (in the math realm) making each part a 1 x 1 square with nothing left, then how come 1/3 always gives a remainder ?

Is it because numbers used in different parts of the mathematical abstract realm such as geometry, calculus and basic arithmetic expressions, don’t represent the same ‘thing’?...

Please explain,

Regards,

VE

PS. I’ll get back to Pi later …

On another planet, where the aliens have 12 fingers, Earth's 0.333333 recurring is written as 0.4

Last edited:
damoclark said:
On another planet, where the aliens have 12 fingers, Earth's 0.333333 recurring is written as 0.4

Yeah, but how do they write 1/5?

But this is OT. The answer to the question is that pi is not a rational number, so there is NO basis in which its representation is a finite number of digits. The fact that pi is irrational was proved by Lambert in the eighteenth century, and you can find his and other proofs of it by googling on Pi irrational.

Addendum: pi is not only irrational, but transcendental. This means it cannot be the root of any polynomial of finite degree. This fact was proved by Lindemann in the late nineteenth century using methods developed by Hermite to prove the same thing about e.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
YThe answer to the question is that pi is not a rational number, so there is NO basis in which its representation is a finite number of digits.

Well, no rational (or even algebraic) base. Pi is 100 in base [itex]\sqrt\pi[/itex], for example.

Last edited:
ValenceE said:
Hey !, thank's for your replies,

You know what ?, I realize I have a lot of questions about how I comprehend mathematical abstractions.

Couldn’t we say that a perfect 1 x 3 rectangle exists in the abstract realm ?, if so, then we should be able to divide this rectangle in three perfectly equal 1 x 1 squares , no ?

VE

VE A decimal expansion is a shorthand form of writing a finite number as a sum of negative powers of some base. Thus in base 10 a decimal of length n after the period is simply shorthand for some integer divided by 10 to the n th power. For example 1.125 base 10 = 11/10 + 2/100 + 5/1000 = 1125/1000. Since a finite decimal expression is actually some intger divided by a power of 10 no reduced fraction thereof can contain a prime factor in the denominator other than a power of 2 or 5. Reduced fractions in which the denominator contains a prime factor which is not a factor of the base can never be written in decimal form as a finite length decimal. On the other hand, .20 base 6 = 2/6 + 0/36 = 12/36 = 1/3 which is possible because 3 is prime factor of 6.

1. What is Pi?

Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14159, but it is an irrational number with infinite decimal places.

2. Who discovered Pi?

Pi has been studied and used in various civilizations for thousands of years, but it was the Greek mathematician Archimedes who first calculated its value to be between 3 1/7 and 3 10/71 in the 3rd century BC.

3. Why is Pi important?

Pi is important in mathematics and science because of its role in calculating the properties of circles and spheres. It is also used in many mathematical formulas and equations, and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

4. Can Pi be calculated to its exact value?

No, Pi is an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and its decimal representation never ends or repeats. Therefore, it is impossible to calculate Pi to its exact value, but it can be approximated to any desired degree of accuracy.

5. How many digits of Pi have been calculated?

As of 2021, the most accurate calculation of Pi has been done using supercomputers and has reached over 31 trillion digits. However, for most practical applications, a few decimal places of Pi are sufficient.