Why Doesn't Incident Light Interfere with Reflected Light in a Mirror?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary: I'm wondering about why "in some cases" and not others, though I guess your second sentence sort of addresses that. I'm not clear on what overlap "exactly" means. For instance, what happens when I stare at my reflection in a mirror. The light is clearly coming right back at me. What's going on there? Why are interference effects washed out?I would think that it's pretty nearly impossible for a bunch of non-coherent light to randomly end up exactly out of phase with another batch. You probably have, once in a while, for a very brief time, a small fraction of the spectrum that interferes with itself, but how would you notice?I'm wondering about why "in some cases
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Say that light is incident on a plane mirror, normal to the surface (i.e. zero degrees from the normal). Why does the reflected light (which heads back toward the source) not interfere with the incident light?

Science news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
Say that light is incident on a plane mirror, normal to the surface (i.e. zero degrees from the normal). Why does the reflected light (which heads back toward the source) not interfere with the incident light?

In some cases, it does! That's why you have standing wave in EM cavities.

It is more difficult when you try to do it with a common laser source, for instance, because for it to clearly show interference effects, it must overlap "exactly" and be at the right phase, or else any clear effects will be washed out.

Zz.

I'm wondering about why "in some cases" and not others, though I guess your second sentence sort of addresses that. I'm not clear on what overlap "exactly" means. For instance, what happens when I stare at my reflection in a mirror. The light is clearly coming right back at me. What's going on there? Why are interference effects washed out?

I would think that it's pretty nearly impossible for a bunch of non-coherent light to randomly end up exactly out of phase with another batch. You probably have, once in a while, for a very brief time, a small fraction of the spectrum that interferes with itself, but how would you notice?

cepheid said:
I'm wondering about why "in some cases" and not others, though I guess your second sentence sort of addresses that. I'm not clear on what overlap "exactly" means. For instance, what happens when I stare at my reflection in a mirror. The light is clearly coming right back at me. What's going on there? Why are interference effects washed out?

But the light you are seeing of yourself in the mirror isn't from a coherent source. Besides, it didn't originate out of your eyes, so the path from,let's say your belly to your eyes do not overlap. So how are they going to "interfere"?

Zz.

What is reflection in science?

Reflection in science refers to the process of bouncing back of light, sound, or heat off a surface. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or change in medium and is redirected back in the opposite direction.

How does reflection affect the perception of color?

Reflection plays a crucial role in color perception. The color of an object we see is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off the object's surface. For example, a red object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs other wavelengths of light.

What are the laws of reflection?

The laws of reflection state that the angle of incidence (incoming ray) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing ray) and the incident ray, reflected ray, and the normal (perpendicular line to the surface) all lie in the same plane.

How is reflection used in everyday life?

Reflection is used in everyday life in various ways. Some examples include using a mirror to see our reflection, using reflective surfaces on roads and signs to increase visibility, and using reflective materials in photography to create interesting effects. It is also used in scientific instruments such as telescopes and microscopes.

What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection and refraction are both processes that involve the bending of light. However, the key difference is that reflection involves the bouncing back of light off a surface, while refraction involves the change in direction of light as it passes through a different medium. Reflection also does not change the speed of light, while refraction does.