1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about sound

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boat is floating at rest in dense fog near a large cliff. The captain sounds a horn at water level and the sound travels through the salt water and the air (340 m/s) simultaneously.

The echo in the water takes 0.4s to return. How much additional time will it take for the echo in the air to return?

2. Relevant equations

##v = \frac{Δd}{Δt}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So my take is that ##Δt = 0.4s## for the water echo and a quick look on wiki told me the speed of sound under salt water is ##v = 1560 m/s##.

This yields ##Δd = vΔt = 624m##.

So the salt water echo takes 0.4 seconds to travel a total distance of 624 m at a rate of 1560 m/s.

Now I'm asked to find how much additional time will it take for the echo in the air to return? So I'm being asked to find ##Δt## for the sound in the air.

I'm given that ##v = 340 m/s## in the air ( By the question ) so the pieces look like they're going to fall together.

I just need to confirm one thing, would i still use ##Δd = 624m## in this next calculation? If so why? If not, why not?

EDIT : I forgot to mention the reason I'm doing this is because I know when I subtract the time it took for the air echo to come back by the time it took for the salt water echo to come back I will get the difference the question is asking for.

EDIT 2 : Nevermind I was reading this question incorrectly. I got my answer.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. This is simply the distance that the boat is from the cliff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted