1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about Tension

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let's say that the system in this diagram is in equilibrium:
    http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww285/izelkays/Picture1.jpg

Since the system's in equilibrium, would that mean that T2 (the tension force connected to M2) is the same as T1 (the tension force connected to M1)?

Also, would it matter if that table M1 is on were inclined at an angle? Wouldn't the tension forces still be the same value if the system were in equilibrium?

3. The attempt at a solution
    In my homework problem, (the system's in equilibrium) I've figured out what T1 is. The problem's asking me to find the mass of M2. If the tension forces are the same, wouldn't that mean I just do:

M2*g = T1 and solve for M2?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your link isn't working.

4. Jun 16, 2012 #3
  5. Jun 16, 2012 #4
    The system is not in equilibrium, there's no force to balance out T going to the right.

6. Jun 16, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think the system is in equilibrium? There's an acceleration marked in the diagram.

As long as the rope is massless and the pulley is massless and frictionless (which are the usual assumptions), then there is a single tension throughout the rope. Which is why it's label T and not T1 and T2.

What exactly are you given and what are you asked to find?

7. Jun 16, 2012 #6
    Ok, sorry I wasn't clear. That diagram I posted isn't the actual homework problem. I just wanted to use a general example.

I should have googled my question to find the actual diagram:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...surface-makes-angle-42-degree-horizon-q877944

I've found the tension in the rope connected to the 6.7kg mass to be 43.98N. Would it be the same value for the rope connected to the hanging mass?

Sorry for not being clear.

8. Jun 16, 2012 #7
    Yes, tension is the same throughout 1 rope.

9. Jun 16, 2012 #8
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook