1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about torque

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1
    There's a question that asks: if a wheel with 1.56 m/rad radius which reached a final velocity of 200 rad/min(or 10/3 rad/s) were slowed down with a constant torque of 10,000 NM being applied, how long would it take to stop the wheel. I can't seem to find how torque is related to this problem in anyway. I can solve it by doing the following:

Angular Displacement = (W^2-Wo^2)/(2*Angular Acceleration)
    = (11.11rad^2/s^2)/(4.44rad/s^2)
    = 2.5 rad
    Angular Displacement = (t/2)(Wo+W)
    =(2.5 rad) = (t/2)*(10/3rad/s)
    =(2.5 rad)/(3.33rad/s)
    = .75s = (t/2)
    t = 1.5 s

But it may not be correct because I didn't use the radius or torque in that problem. Please respond with your ideas on how they could be applied to this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

for now: T= torque A= angular acceleration I= moment of inertia

T=IA so A=T/I

now use the angular acceleration in an angular kentmatics problem with final angular velocity =0

4. Apr 27, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are for some reason assuming a value (of 2.22 rad/s^2) for the angular acceleration. Where did that come from?

If you had the angular acceleration, you wouldn't bother calculating the angular displacement--you'd immediately calculate the time given that you know the Δω.
    That should give you a hint that something's wrong! :rolleyes:

As Chi Meson explained, you need to apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation to find α, α = Τ/I.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?