1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question: Ginzberg-Landau theory.

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have an effective Hamiltonian, in the mean field approximation of the form:

[tex] \beta H = tx^{2}+(a+\frac{b}{2})^{4} +c^{6} [/tex]

Where x is a minimized order parameter, t is related to temperature and a,b,c are some system parameters. The system is a Bose-Einstein condensate such a a superconductor/superfluid etc.

I've been asked to consider the phase behavior near the critical point (t=0) and would like to check my reasoning as I'm not 100% confident in it.

3. The attempt at a solution

For t>0 (above the critical temperature) we can say it is okay to have an order parameter that is potentially zero (non-finite). Also, in the region near the critical point we can expect x to be small. In this case we can ignore the higher order powers in x and take only the quadratic term for our approximation. Taking the derivative of the hamiltonian and setting it to zero we get

[tex] 2tx=0 [/tex] which if t is positive and small but non-zero means that x must be zero, hence we have no form of BEC formation at t>0.

For t<0, we would expect some sort of ordering so x must be finite. This means we need to keep, at least the quartic term, in our consideration. S ignoring the sixth power and setting the derivative to zero, gives us a quadratic equation with two, one positive and one negative. This would cause the function to turn and be finite at t=0 displaying a finite order parameter (and BEC formation) at the critical point.

My question is: does this make sense. Specifically, is it okay to make the assumption of expected order for t<0 and (potentially) x=0 for t>0, in order to discard some higher powers. Or would that be introducing a bias and fixing things to get the result I want out?

I hope that was clear but let me know if I need to clarify something.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?