Quick question: Is this plane a subspace of R^3?

In summary, a subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows the same rules as the vector space. R^3 is a 3-dimensional vector space consisting of ordered triples. To determine if a plane is a subspace of R^3, the subspace test can be used. A plane cannot be a subspace of R^3 if it is not flat or if it does not pass through the origin. Both of these are necessary conditions for a plane to be a subspace of R^3.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

Say you have the plane given by equation

4x + 3y + 4z + 4 = 0

This plane is not a subspace of R^3, right? My reasoning is that this plane can't include the origin, but I just need some clarification to make sure that I understand what a subspace is.

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct, this plane is not a subspace of R^3 for the reason you give.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the same properties as the vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is R^3?

R^3 (pronounced "R cubed") is a 3-dimensional vector space consisting of all ordered triples (x, y, z) where x, y, and z are real numbers.

3. How can I determine if a plane is a subspace of R^3?

To determine if a plane is a subspace of R^3, you can use the subspace test. This involves checking if the plane contains the zero vector, is closed under vector addition, and is closed under scalar multiplication.

4. Can a plane be a subspace of R^3 if it is not flat?

No, a plane must be flat in order to be a subspace of R^3. A subspace must contain all possible linear combinations of its vectors, and a non-flat plane would not satisfy this property.

5. Is it possible for a plane to be a subspace of R^3 if it does not pass through the origin?

No, a plane must pass through the origin in order to be a subspace of R^3. This is because the zero vector is a necessary element of a subspace, and any plane that does not contain the origin would not contain the zero vector.