Quick question on a group definition

In summary, the group of unitriangular matrices contains matrices with the property that the diagonal elements are all unity. The added condition is needed to ensure that the group is not just the group of triangular matrices. If you attended Dr. Stöhr's lectures, you should know this.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In a piece of coursework I need to work out some stuff about [itex]UT \left( n, \mathbb{R} \right)[/itex].
I forget what the definition of this, is it: given [itex]M \in UT \left( n, \mathbb{R} \right)[/itex] and represented by [itex]M = \left(a_{i, j} \right)[/itex] Where [itex]a_{i, j}[/itex] is a typical element of M then if i > j [itex]a_{i, j} = 0[/itex] else [itex]a_{i, j} \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].
Or was there the added condition that if i = j then [itex]a_{i, j} = 1[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Group Definition

This group is called the group of unitriangular matrices, so called because it contains (upper) triangular matrices with the property that the diagonal elements are all unity. As such, the added condition is needed.
If you attended Dr Stöhr's lectures you should know this.

Diophantus said:
This group is called the group of unitriangular matrices, so called because it contains (upper) triangular matrices with the property that the diagonal elements are all unity. As such, the added condition is needed.
If you attended Dr Stöhr's lectures you should know this.
Haha thanks, I would also know this if Ruby wasn't being weird and gave me chance to photocopy her notes.

Anyway, I've made quite a bit of progress on that question, I think I have a better method of tackling it than any that we discussed :smile:

Oh right, I'm quite sure that my approach will work adequately so I'm sticking with that. I have a feeling that the second question will be trickier though but I'm not going to get stuck into it for a few days. I'll probably be in touch when I've had the chance to work on it.

kk, well, I just wanted to say some thing. I've just done a bit of work on the 1st question and you have the centre of the group wrong, I have a counter example.

Try something like:

[tex]A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 5 & 7 \\
0 & 1 & 9 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

And:

[tex]B = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 3 & 2 \\
0 & 1 & 3 \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{array} \right)[/tex]

Particularly check the element of the 1st row, 3rd column for AB and BA

Alas, you are correct. That will teach me to use silly notation for the elements of my matrices(a, a', a'', a'''...). Closer examination leads to the conclusion that the general element of the group when n=3 is:

[tex]A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & a \\0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 1\end{array} \right)[/tex]

and I conjecture that for larger n, the trend will continue i.e the general element is simply I with the top right zero replaced with a variable free to take any real value.

This should not, however, affect my chosen method of showing this to be true for all n.

In fact it should simplify it.

Last edited:
Indeed I've already worked this out, however I've not tested the trend for n > 3, I will later set up it in Mathematica to check for much larger matrices, but general life stuff to get on with now. I expect I will have determined and proven the centre by the end of the day and started on the 2nd problem :smile:

If it helps I've shown the conjecture is true for n = 4 and n = 5, I'm going to attempt to show it in general now.

1. What is a group?

A group is a collection of individuals who come together for a common purpose or goal.

2. What are the characteristics of a group?

The characteristics of a group include shared goals, interdependence, communication, social norms, and collective identity.

3. How is a group different from a team?

A group is a broader term that encompasses all types of collections of individuals, whereas a team refers to a specific type of group that has a shared goal and works together to achieve it.

4. What is the importance of defining a group?

Defining a group is important because it helps to establish clear boundaries and expectations for members, allows for effective communication and collaboration, and promotes a sense of belonging and identity within the group.

5. Can a group definition change over time?

Yes, a group definition can change over time as the goals, dynamics, and membership of the group may change. It is important for groups to regularly reassess and redefine their purpose and expectations to ensure continued success and effectiveness.